18: Unexpected

Nothing went as planned. 

Well, if you count how he wanted it to go. 

It was a bitter, cold day, fog swarming the downtown area. Jimin had been lucky enough to declare to absolutely no one that he had finished his classes for the day, although his brain was completely fried.

He still had work to do, but needed a break from all of the thinking. Although that wasn't an option. 

So, on a whim, he turned in his steps and sauntered to Shin's Coffee and Tea, aka "the place that Jimin spends the most money". It was an unhealthy habit, much like his others. The list kept getting added to with no sign of lifting up.

He walked closer, a slight bounce to his step, a small smile spread across his face. Coffee always brought him a lighter mood with a bundle of smiles.

Once he arrived, he swung the door open, already knowing what he wanted. The scent of coffee beans hit his nose, a scent he was sure he'd enjoy for the rest of his life. Light from all of the windows hit the center of the room, illuminating the place. He was rather fond of it.

He smiled brightly, watching Ryujin move swiftly to pay back someone's change. As he stepped to the front of the line, he was pleasantly surprised to see that she was already waiting to take his order. Quick as always.

"Hi!" Her bright smile accompanied her hair that was styled in an up-do, almost like a ponytail. It was a little adventurous, but Jimin didn't judge. "How are you? We haven't talked in awhile." She said. "I was wondering when we'd bump into each other again."

"I'm fine, thank you," Jimin said quietly. "How are you?"

"I'm doing alright. Today's a busy day, if you can't tell," she replied, drumming the counter. Jimin did a full turn, looking in every corner.

Speaking of bumping into people, there, sitting in the corner, was Taehyung. He wouldn't have minded if it was just Taehyung, but it wasn't. 

Jeongguk was there to accompany his anxiety! How fine and dandy.

His mouth forced into a broken grin, he turned back, brightness slipping through the cracks of his heart. He knew he was supposed to feel at ease whenever Jeongguk was around, but he felt anxiety, almost the complete opposite. Like he was supposed to be a role model, fun, caring, and everything else Jeongguk seemed to want in a boyfriend.

Sometimes, he considered Taehyung a better candidate. Call him oblivious, stupid, but it was his mind playing tricks on him. What could he say? It always did. Especially when he—

Nevermind. That didn't matter. 

He knew it all meant something, but he just couldn't tell what it was. Did it have something to do with his dreams? 

"Jimin, are you okay?" She crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow. "Would you like your usual?" she asked, only to receive no reply. It was evident in the way that Jimin stared at the ground, fingers twisting around each other and through his hair, that he wasn't paying attention.

It was a few more moments before she said sternly, "Jimin, answer me."

Jimin popped out of his head space, flashing an apologetic smile at the other. He was sure it looked more like a wince. "Sorry, Ryu. I'm not quite here today, I guess."

"Go on, what would you like?" She drummed her fingers on the countertop. Apparently, she wasn't in the mood for slow customers today.

"I would like my usual, thank you."

So she rang it up on the machine, holding her hand out to receive the money that Jimin had in hand.

After taking it, she handed him the change, smiling at him as he whirled around.

And ran straight into Jeon Jeongguk.

They bumped into each other, each boy raising their eyebrows in a panicked state, attempting to cover themselves with what they had. Though, it didn't work to either of their benefit. It was too bad they had already seen each other. 

What luck, running into each other at the same time. 

"I—" Jeongguk started, tongue caught between his lip. He began nibbling it. 

Jimin looked down, startled with the situation. Every time he tried to move aside, Jeongguk moved the same way. 

"Sorry, Jiminie." He slapped a hand over his mouth, obviously not expecting the nickname to slip. 

It just made Jimin want to cry at the moment. To the younger boy, he probably looked like a piece of trash wearing clothes. Because they lived together, Jeongguk knew what he looked like. And what he looked like at the moment didn't look good. 

"Sorry," Jimin muttered under his breath, eyes lifting to watch Taehyung, also in the same state as him. His mouth dropped to the floor, curving in a circle. Then, he narrowed his eyes, obviously monitoring the whole situation like a hawk, silently disapproving. He made a motion to Jimin, who walked over as quickly as he could.

Mostly to avoid embarrassing himself or the sweet younger boy.

"Kim Taehyung, what on Earth are you doing here?" Jimin asked, annoyed, resting a palm on the table, having already pocketed his change. "I thought you were so far away from here, what happened?"

"Jeongguk wanted to come here," Taehyung sighed, gaze following the younger as he carefully maneuvered his way around the small crowds of people. He swallowed, guilt lining his features. "So I brought him. I thought of the chances that you would be here, and apparently I got it wrong."

"Well, obviously, Tae. I don't understand why you couldn't have just gone to a café in your area."

"He wanted to come here, so I brought him here," Tae sighed again. "That's all I'm going to say. We're not going to be coming here after today, I suppose."

"I guess you're right," Jimin murmured distantly. He looked over at the boy carrying napkins and utensils, most likely because their waiter forgot. "I'll go now. Bye, Tae. Tell Gguk that I miss him."

"I will." Taehyung rested his head on his palm, flashing a guilty smile at the older boy. "But don't avoid him like the plague." He watched the boy walk away, waving a small hand at him. He mouthed, "Bye." 

Then, he looked down, pretending like nothing happened. 

Jimin frowned, making his way to the opposite corner of the room, only to slide down in a chair with his head in his palms. He was so focused on his thoughts that he didn't hear the clicking of shoes nearing him. They inched closer and closer, nearing his backside. 

She tapped his shoulder, and he could just sense her bright smile. See it without opening his eyes. If he had to be honest, it was one of the most terrifying things he had ever seen. That meant it was pretty terrifying, since he'd literally seen himself. 

Okay, he was sick that time, but still. 

He opened one eye, hoping it was Ryujin. His mind knew it wasn't, but he turned around anyway. Eyes settling upon the person with a wince. He didn't want to talk to anyone. Besides, he had a lot circling in his poor mind of the moment being. He didn't need anything else to worry about. 

Maybe she was just there to make small talk. 

Oh, he was so terribly wrong.

★★★

a/n: here, i present to you the eighteenth chapter.

thank you to all of the readers who have stuck with me throughout this entire journey~ i confess, it's been a bumpy one. i'll try to update more in the future, even though i've probably already said that in the past...

stay healthy and wash those hands!

i purple you all 💜