Prologue

Red rivers carved canyons in Levi's cheeks as he gazed at the man he called his lover. Supported by his underlings, Erwin stumbled along the soggy ground as blood and rain stained his clothes. Levi's feet wouldn't move. In that moment, all he wanted was to embrace the man but found he couldn't. Levi would often look back on this moment and regret his inability to move. How many brutal deaths had he seen? Why couldn't he just... move?

And then Erwin looked up and locked eyes with him. The usual sparkle in his azure eyes was gone, a translucent film seemed to obscure them. Levi felt a familiar burning in him, but he pushed it down - he couldn't throw up. Not yet.

Erwin gave out a cry of pain and clutched at where his right arm should have been, now nothing more than a bloody stump. His arm - the veins, arteries, skin, even the bone - was gone. All that was left was that stump... Erwin's eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed, dragging the two scouts with him.

That was when Levi could move. His feet, freed from their trance, flew across the wet grass and mud to the large man.

"Erwin!" Levi grabbed at him desperately, panic evident on his face. "You can't leave me!" Levi's voice was strained. "Not you too!"

"Move, Levi!" It was Hange. They drug Levi away from Erwin's body and held him close as he sobbed. The other scouts that day would never forget that sound. It was the sound of a broken, utterly helpless, man.