Chapter 2

Levi's heart rate skyrocketed as he and Erwin locked eyes. Erwin had been a master at hiding his emotions in the other life and it seemed not much had changed. There was no recognition on his face as his eyes wandered over the class. It was all Levi could do not to run to the man. How old was he now? He had to be in his forties though he had no grey hairs and his eyes... oh his glorious sapphire eyes! Levi knew he could get lost in them and, honestly, he had no qualms doing so.

"I hope everyone is doing well." Erwin said, pulling out a stack of papers. The class was large for their school - about thirty people in all. "I will pass out the syllabus then take roll to give any stragglers a chance to get in."

Erwin passed out the packet to each of them, but he never made eye contact with Levi. Was he as excited as Levi was? Was he itching for class to end so they could embrace one another? Levi could hardly breathe as Erwin pulled out a paper with names on it.

"Alright." Erwin said. "If you go by a different name let me know. When I call your name, say "here" and tell me your pronouns. Levi... Ackerman? Did I say that right?"

"Yes sir!" Levi said, sitting up straighter. "My pronouns are he/him." Erwin nodded.

"Nice shirt." Erwin said, smiling before continuing with role. Levi tried to still his shaking hands as Erwin finished.

"I should remember your names, but if I forget just remind me." Erwin swapped the attendance sheet for a copy of the syllabus. "Now let's go over some logistics. Like I said, I am Dr. Smith. I got my PhD in history from Cornell University. I love coffee and when I am not in the classroom or grading I enjoy taking walks around campus. My office is room 335 in this building. You can email me and I should get back to you within twenty four hours. My office hours are listed here..."

Levi pulled small rips along the edges of his paper, anything to still his racing thoughts. Was Erwin married? Oh god... he hadn't thought of that. That could pose an issue. Would he leave his partner for him? No, Levi wouldn't want that. But he wasn't sure he could stand just being friends. Then again, if it meant being close to Erwin he would do it.

"Levi?" Erwin asked. Levi started. "Are you okay?" The man was so close to him. Levi jumped out if his seat. The classroom was empty save for he and Erwin.

"Erwin, I..." Levi reached out a hand to him. Erwin furrowed his brow.

"Do I... do we know each other?" Erwin asked, obviously confused. Levi stopped breathing. What? Levi's arm fell. Did he not recognize him? Did he not remember?

"Erwin, it's me." Levi said. "It's Levi." Erwin cocked his head.

"I'm sorry." He said. "You must have me mistaken for someone else." Levi's blood ran cold and drained from his face. He couldn't not remember. Everyone remembered!

"I..." Levi choked back a sob. "I'm sorry, forgive me!" Levi grabbed his backpack and the torn syllabus and turned to leave.

"Levi, wait." Erwin said. Levi's breathing was picking up as tears misted his eyes. He did not turn. "Are you okay?" Levi nodded and strode from the room. Once outside, Levi sprinted for his dorm, fat tears carving canyons in his cheeks. Levi burst into the room and threw his backpack and crumpled syllabus down before collapsing onto his bed, sobbing.

Levi wasn't sure how much time passed, but when he heard Hange come back, he couldn't stop the sobbing. He felt Hange's gentle hand on his shoulder. It must have been a shock to them. Ever since they had met as kids, Hange had never seen Levi shed a single tear, let alone be reduced to a sobbing mess.

"Levi?" They asked.

"Hange!" Levi threw himself into his friend's arms. Hange hadn't always been the most adept socially, but Levi had to hand it to them - they knew him like the back of their hand. Hange stroked Levi's back and let him cry into their wrinkled shirt.

"Levi, talk to me." Hange said after a while. Levi sat up, wiping furiously at his face. He wasn't even ashamed of the tears, he just wanted them to be for nothing.

"It was him, Hange. It was Erwin." Levi managed between huge, choking sobs.

"Oh my god!" Hange said, excitement evident on their face.

"He doesn't remember!" Levi couldn't hold back his heart-shattering wail. He could see a million emotions pass over Hange's face. Confusion, doubt, anger, and finally sorrow. And what Hange did next shocked Levi. They began crying. Just as Hange had never seen Levi cry, he had never seen them cry either. Hange pulled Levi into them and held him close, the two friends sobbing to the sun sitting high in the sky above them.