28

The video cracked ten seconds in. In those ten seconds, all that played out was my mom taking a seat in front of the camera and grabbing from a nearby desk a stack of papers. She didn't look pregnant, though she could've been. But I get the feeling it wasn't about to be a video showing the nine month period of being pregnant with Toby.

Or rather, eight month period. Toby was born prematurely.

As I hear quacks coming from Danielle's slippers indicating she's heading for the kitchen, I contemplate telling her about it. About the video, about how I decided taking our brother over to the garage. About the D.V.D cracking ten seconds in — but knowing the reaction I'll get from her for taking Toby there in the first place— and also certain that that's the only part she'll be focused on, I change my thoughts.

The door is loudly pushed open and her disheveled self appears from the other side. Like I've done something to her, she rolls her eyes once she spots me. But I'm used to it, she's one known for always waking up on the wrong side of the bed, so I ignore the eye-roll as well her grumpy walk into the kitchen.

"It's crazy how the Kardashians are thinking of wrapping up their show, you know." Her shirt is too big, pants too. And her hair looks like a bird nest but I can't judge, considering the fact that I'm a replica of everything mentioned. She leans into the table, ungracefully far in, to grab a banana. Then two. "What do you think?"

I raise a brow and stop sipping my tea to reply, "Uh, I don't watch the show."

"It's insane! And you still could have an opinion, what's your view?"

"I— Well, I think they've got the right to keep it going or not." A beat passes and she doesn't answer, when I tilt my head up to take a look, her face is contorted between disappointment and disdain. "What did I-"

"Well, I think they've got the right to keep it going or not."

"I do not talk like that."

"It's insane, Anica. 'Cause there's some of us that live on the show."

"Then perhaps it's time to start a new life?" I offer, smiling and dropping my cup on the table to place my chin on open palms. My smile turns smug the longer she stays annoyed.

"You must think you're smart with that one."

I just giggle and pick up my phone, continuing what I'd been working on before heading down here.

She makes heavy noises as she moves around the kitchen, opening cabinets and jamming them close. Opening the fridge, jamming it close too. All too loudly.

"Who are you smiling and texting?"

I glance a quick one at her before responding. "No one."

"Doesn't look like no one to me."

"I'm not even texting."

"Does his name start with a T-y-l-e-r and end with a J-o-n-e-s?"

I look at her for long this time, and she's literally grinning ear to ear. "You don't say 'start with' if you're just gonna spell the entire thing out."

"Is it him?"

"I'm not texting anyone... He doesn't even have my number."