36

"Thanks for covering for me."

I halt on my way down the stairs, gripping the cold railing just when Nathan comes to view, dark-blonde hair cut shorter. He stops at the bottom of the steps and waits for me to get to him.

"Where were you yesterday?" I ask, arms crossed over my chest. A lame attempt to look intimidating. "And you're not welcome."

He starts walking away but I notice he rolled his eyes. "Just thanks, Okay?"

"Nathan, the only reason I told your mom you were with us at the workshop— Supposedly too busy to answer the phone, was because I wanted her to feel you were with safe company. And because I actually hope you were."

"I was."

"How do I know?"

Even though the hallway on second floor is never too busy, I still find myself cornering a few people. While trying to keep up with his fast pace.

"Dave, some other workers too, admitted that you hardly ever show up for work. That when you do show up, you're minutes late." He opens his mouth to say something but I'm quick to shut it down. "And don't ask me if I want to take that out your paycheck."

His lips spread into a coy smile. "Got me there." Then he drops the smile and puts his hands through his hair. "Melissa, there's just some shit I've got going on right now. But I can swear to you once it's all sorted out, I'll be the best employer your father's ever had."

I stop our movement by jumping in front of him. His eyes lay on me. "Nathan, you're not just a worker at my dad's, you're my friend. So It's not about you not showing up for work, it's more about why. Where are you always at instead of the workshop, and what 'shit' are you going through?"

He shakes his head, staring towards the metallic blue lockers by the side like he'd rather be in any other situation than this one. Well, too bad.

When he shifts his eyes to me it's as if he's hoping I'd have gotten tired and walked away, or magically disappeared. I raise a brow.

"Fine." He huffs out, then eyes me in his usual frustrated way. "Okay. Thing is, I've got a second job."

"Oh. Okay. That's... good." I blink. "Wasn't really expecting that. Not like I don't wish you the best and all."

"I met a guy there. He knows who my dad is."

I blink. Wasn't expecting this either.

"Knows who your dad is?" I ask, tentatively. "How's that even possible?"

His eyes go to the floor like he's reasoning this for the first time. And it surely must be the first time.

"Nathan, are you seriously believing some random man out there who claims to know your father?"

"He's not just a random man."

"Then what is he, your uncle? A well-known dad finder?" I follow Nathan's eyes as they go above my head, two students that seemed to have been in a conversation have paused just to check us out. But they're quick to avert their gaze.

"Let's not talk about this anymore."

"No, Nathan listen, everybody knows about your obsession to find your father—"

"And isn't it—"

"It's very valid. Okay? It is. But at the same time, it could be a bait. It could be this... man's bait to get you to work for him."

"I'm not working for him. One. And second, I'm getting paid for every job done. He's my friend, he's helping."

"Oh, now he's your friend."