30

" Welcome all of Eastwood High!" Principal Willis exclaims into the microphone as he takes a stand in the center of the field, "The night is beautiful and you know our boys have been practicing so we're in for an equally beautiful game tonight. Let's give it up for our 2018 Eastwood Tigers football team as they play the last game for the year!"

Screams and shouts are so loud, I can't even hear myself even though I'm screaming too. As if it's not enough the band joins in, matching into the field with their loud trumpets.

"Leading in the team," principal continues, then takes a dramatic pause because we all know what he's about to say. And that somehow has the crowd yelling decibels louder. For me it's bittersweet. "Is the one and only NFL player and Eastwood Tigers captain, Tyler Jones!"

As expected, Tyler runs out to the center already holding a mic and everybody's eye. Every feature of his face has that smooth golden look. Corner of his lips lifted in a smile. It's the first time he's ever addressing the school. The entire school. But with how effortless he seems to be, I'm nearly questioning if it is.

I hope Nathan's okay.

Friday game night started an hour ago. Two hours for some of us, a.k.a me. I had to be one of the early arrivers, first because I've got a friend who had to be here early as being not just a cheerleader but head of the cheer team. I went up to her house for us to get ready together. I already was ready, all I needed was the Nathan's jersey I wear for tradition and black jeans. And eyeliner. But Pamela needed a ton of things so I helped with that.

Second reason for being one of the early birds is 'cause I had work with the media. Which has thankfully been rounded up. The speed of movement from all my fellow teammates, plus the heavy editing done in the lighted up room got me dizzy within just minutes of being there.

We pulled up into the impressively packed parking lot at 6:02pm. There were still spaces for a few other cars of course but it was impressive, nevertheless. Shows how serious we take football in Eastwood High. And the opposing school, I guess.

I bought popcorn at a stand nearby, and watched as more people filled up the stadium. Also witnessed as specific workers turned the mere open field to a lighted up arena. Now the bleachers are filled with the people from earlier who'd just been roaming around when I got here, all are both people from our school and the opposing. Also cheerleaders of ours and the other school are down on the field in sparkly blue and orange uniforms respectively.

During history class on Tuesday - that was the first day I noticed we did history together. Had been doing history together for the past three years. As much as I tried to hide the shock, she must've noticed. But, however, didn't say anything. Just nodded her head when our eyes met but- where was I?

During history class, well, after, I asked Victoria if we could meet again for our team project. She'd returned to working solo, but it wasn't one-sided since we both agreed we'd work on different parts of the project on our own then meet up after.

With first making my best friend see reason, amicably responding to all her tantrums of me finally abandoning her because Pamela can be that dramatic, Victoria and I spent the entire Tuesday afternoon at my house, working. And laughing too whenever anything funny came up. She even laughed at some of my lame jokes. Some.

We met up daily after that and in the course of three after-school days, I got to see that Victoria Taiwo could actually, smile, laugh, make a joke, take her glasses off- I knew she took her glasses off of course, like when she sleeps. But to see her do that once around me, was a shock. I think I'm the weird one. She could own an opinion, fight it out and just all in all, have a normal conversation. With me. In the course of those three after school days I got to see that Victoria Taiwo didn't actually hate me, I just need to stop jumping into the worst impossible conclusions.