46

I remembered D. That... guy. It was a dream, but honestly felt so real that I'm sure it happened. The first thing was the dark sky, that was just as dark as it was at mom's burial. Because that's what it was. Mom's burial. People flooding the place were all dressed in black, holding up equally black umberellas  just Incase it rained. Dad was off somewhere greeting those who came to offer condolence and Baby Tobias was with grandma. I don't know where my sister was, but I know it was just me when that man came over. He's the same one I'd seen at the ice cream hub Tyler met up with his friend, Kelly, who I'd already known from Nathan's apartment building.

He was the same man. I'm sure of it. I know anyone else could have an eyepatch, but even the fashion sense is the same. Long black coat and a hat. He didn't seem to be a friend of dad's, and of mom? I wouldn't know, she was in the casket. But he barely talked to anyone else besides me. As a matter of fact, nobody saw him. Nobody saw him when he crouched  down to my height, offering his own form of condolence, which was to place a hand on my small shoulder, adding a gravelly, "Sorry, kid."

So while it was a dream, I was sure it was a memory. I've been trying to piece the entire thing since I woke up, and I guess it's a rather tasking job because it seemed to have been written all over my face. Reason Danielle-Soledad had to put a hand on her hip and ask me what the hell was up.

I wish I'd told her I had a bad dream. But instead, I kept stalling. Letting her realize it's something more than a nightmare.

"Are you going to speak or am I just going to have to watch you turn that mug in your hands for another five minutes?" She chides, though in a softer tone.

"I don't know." My voice comes out choked so I'm clearing it before going on. "Well, something happened."

"Sir Jacob's here." Toby saunters into the kitchen to tell me, then does a U-turn back out.  It's our driver, but before I strap on my book bag, I finish up the tea left in the mug.

"Wait, Anica."

I halt on the door handle, cursing. I was really hoping Tobias was my saving grace to leaving this unwanted conversation 'cause I know Danielle. I know her. She's wants to find out what's bothering me, but once she's told it's got something to do with mom, she'll stiffen. And act like I told her nothing. Which would just hurt more.

"What happened?"

Without really turning around, I tell her lightheartedly. "Tyler and I fought." Partly true. I'm not a total liar.

"Oh." Her eyes go to the side, then she visibly relaxes. "Oh my god, what? That's what got you so worked up?" She begins using a rag to clear the island table. "How cute. Already having relationship problems."

"You're not going to work today, are you?" I've been eying her relaxed air and baggy shirt since I met her by the sink this morning. Then I recall her very wrong statement. "We're not in a relationship, Soledad, so that doesn't apply."

"Mhmm." She makes a face with pouted lips, and bursts into a solo laugh. I'm not laughing along but it's hard to keep a straight face. "Well, no work for me today."

"Why? Have they realized your inexperience and fired you."

"Unfortunately for you, no." I smile at the glare she gives me. "To think I was going to spend my next paycheck on you."

"You were never going to do that."

"Well, you'll never know now 'cause I won't."

"You were never going to do that." I repeat, leaving her in the kitchen laughing.

My head stays against the window through out the entire ride to school. Tobias who would normally care less actually seemed to notice my mood even, he turned once to check me. Didn't say anything. Then he got all in my face and we stared at each other, yet he still didn't say a thing. The last move he made was to place a hand on my forehead with no words. Toby's not part of my problem but I really felt like flicking him out of the car at that moment.