23

"Your friend wasn't so happy you ditched." She says. Straight with no preamble. I turn right to see she's leaning her head on the window. Her gaze still out to the traffic as we drive through.

It's been a while since Pamela said the iconic two words before sharply walking away, so sharp that I think some strands of her hair are still stuck on my face. I  pulled off a few but it feels like there are remainder lingering somewhere I haven't touched. Or it could just be the shock and embarrassment itching my cheeks.

It's not the first time she's gotten outright pissed at me, but it's hardly. Can even still remember the last time it happened and that's a long time ago, think five years, on of our actual friendly outings. We were at some park that's now closed down and this girl around my age offered we could ride the Ferris together. Pamela who's been on it times without number claimed it was boring then and wouldn't go on no matter how many times I asked for us to try - though with a double-mind 'cause part of me was terrified being an inch next to the Ferris. I just wanted to try. So, I told her I'd found another partner.

I didn't get the exact 'suit yourself' line, probably due to her not knowing such a phrase at the time - she was around twelve, but I got a similar reaction.

"Maybe it's 'cause she thinks of it the same way you do. I didn't ditch." I state, then relax my tone. "Pamela's just a bit stressed out most likely. You know after practice and all that." Except there wasn't any practice today. "It's been a long day at school too that's all, then she probably also thought that I was ditching so you see." When there's no response from her and I'm left staring at speeding road scenery through the window on her side, I add. "She's a very good friend. Always just looking out for me and you know, the fact that she doesn't know who you are has her maybe on edge that we're hanging out and... She's a great person if you get to know her, that is, to really know her, away from the popularity status and 'suit yourself' "

I clear my throat. "She's a great friend."

"I never said she wasn't." Victoria answers, head still leaning on the window.

Her gaze stays static as she stares out the street. But it's not static like she doesn't want to meet my gaze. It's static like she doesn't care.

"Right."

The driver does a little salute as we begin getting down, I send him a 'thank you' before shutting the door. In no time he's doing a U-turn round the water fountain and going out through the open gate I'm guessing Toby helped open, since I spot a small figure behind a black Jeep parked on the left.

I'm not strapping my book bag on since I'm home, but I wait for Victoria to strap hers on, occasionally glancing at the approaching figure of my brother in his ruffled uniform and curly locks.

"You didn't come home with Pamela."

"Apparently." I decide to answer his statement of the obvious without rolling my eyes. "That's my brother." I tell Victoria. "He's in Eastwood's Elementary."

She nods as we start moving.

"Hi." Toby greets. I've now walked past them but knowing her, I turn back to let her know my brother said hi.

"Oh." She squints her eyebrows at me first, then turns to Toby who's not far behind her. "Hi."

As we get in, a new vanilla scent hits me, and it's instantly a reminder of the Jeep I'd seen outside but hadn't really taken cognizance of. Natalie's around. It's so strange that though my brother's best of friends with William, Amy's younger brother, and my sister's best friends with Natalie, her older sister, Amy and I have nothing to do together. And if we ever do, it's her asking me uncomfortable questions at the lunch table.