49

"How'd you get my number?" Is my first response to him after his "come outside.  It's Tyler." text. I'd had to run to the front balcony in order to see if it was true, and yes it was. Leaning on his shiny car in grey sweats and a tee with a passive face on, he looked up and gave me nothing more than a mock salute. Plus, he appeared to already be waiting for my presence there. At the balcony. Like he knew I'd first run there to confirm. Like he knew I wouldn't respond to him through text but would rather come outside, as ordered, walk straight to him and ask how he got my number.

"I have my ways." He answers, staring me straight in the eye with that adorable yet bad boy face. He's so... perfect. And sometimes I hate it.

"That doesn't sound safe for me." I chipper. Talking about safety, I subconsciously turn around to check the house. Dad's not home, I know that, but it's more of a reflex reaction.

Tyler snorts, snapping my attention. "I've honestly forgotten how I got it to be honest. But it's not that deep."

My eyes automatically turn into slits.

"Let's go on a date." He proposes out of the blue. He's still leaning on the car, keeping him at least around my height. So with the random idea he just blurted I feel like a mom listening to her three year old giving irrational ideas. Especially 'cause my hands are crossed over my chest. "I just realized we haven't actually gone on a proper one."

I thought a thing like this would make me blush, but I'm genuinely... confused. Shocked.

"Why would we need that?"

"Come on, Martinez we've gone past this."

I bite my lip to stop from smiling. I'm not sure it works. I know what he's on about, but I just don't want to be quick to understand. Or at least show that I am. "Gone past what?"

He gives me a flat look, before breaking into a smirk. "Gone past this. We're not gonna pretend you're not practically inlove with me at this point."

"Excuse me? If there's anyone inlove, it's you."

"Yeah, maybe I am." He answers simply. And in the purest way possible. Despite his rather usual cold demeanor, sometimes Tyler Jones has got this way of looking like a lost puppy that's hoping you take it in, especially right now. Where his eyes stare up into mine with the faintest of smiles on his lips. And I'm hoping I'm the only that gets to see this part.

There's this word I want to say, but I know I'll forever be too shy to say it.

"What are we doing?" He asks in almost a whisper.

"Going on a date." I reply, mimicking the softness of his tone as well. He only nods after a minute of studying me.

It's when we're in his car, nearly out of the estate entirely that I realize his question wasn't literal. He wasn't asking what we were doing at the moment,
he was asking what we are. Our status. Are we friends? Are we not friends? Are we more than friends? Or are we a couple?

And it's the same effing question that's been on my mind too.

Tyler's idea of a date is a contrast to his entire persona.

It's a picnic.

Except we're not on the grass and rather four hundred feet above it. Plus we have to pay a bill 'cause it's at a restaurant and not the park.

Alright now that I think of it, it's not a picnic. I guess, it's just all the sunshine making me think so.  He chose we came up to the balcony so it  doesn't feel conventional. I love it.

"Do you like?" He leans forward in his booth to get closer to me. I flit my eyes from the scenery to him, taking in how effortlessly fine he can be for merely existing.