31

"Is she picking?"

"Huh?" I take the phone away from my ear and turn to Victoria. She's about repeating herself when I stop her. "Oh no, no. Keeps going to voicemail."

"And she told you to wait for her?"

"Yeah. I mean, no." I sigh, cutting the call as it again starts telling me this is Pamela no-middle-name Williams, if you really really really need me, leave a message. "It's just that she never... She never goes for the after-party. Although, this time she claimed she wanted to go but.. I just thought, you know, if she went she'd let me know first."

"I'm guessing you don't have a ride home,"

"That, and I don't want to leave her here."

"If she's here."

"Yeah, If she's here." I spot slight frustration in Victoria's ebony face, I'd say she rolled her eyes too but she's wearing glasses, plus it's night so I can't be certain.

I know I'm acting paranoid and since so far she doesn't seem to be Pamela's biggest fan, I might as well come off as annoying to her, however I can't stop it. I can't stop calling no matter how many times it goes to voicemail. I need a ride home and I need to know how Pamela is. This is not some sort of creepy movie but my brain keeps picturing the worst scenarios. And I'm starting to believe them.

Hi, this is Pamela Williams, if you really really really-

"Voicemail again?"

"Uh huh." I answer, not looking at her, instead at my phone screen. The caller profile is a picture of Pamela and I from last summer. Smiling.

"Look, I get it that you wanna find her but the stadium's getting empty. Those bleachers are empty. It's getting darker too so we gotta go. Have you got a substitute ride or something?"

I check my phone again for any calls, anything but of course. "You're right. We should go. And yeah, I do have a.. I have someone I can call."

She nods, going off to stand beside the wall she was leaning on before she got in my face to gently knock sense into me 'cause she's right. The only people here besides us are the people to clean up the place and who knows how safe that is for us.

"I'm sorry for keeping you."

"I chose to stay." She says, shooting down the sentiment. I'm now a bit used to her coldness, enough to know she's not being cold. Just not the type to deal with too much emotion.

"Do you have a ride home?"

"Sure. I'm getting a Uber once your ride arrives."

"A Uber? Doesn't make any sense, you could just come with us."

She eyes me like I'm insane, "We live on completely opposite sides."

"Yeah, but my driver could drop you off at your place after. The way he does whenever you come over." I press.

Her eyes lower to the arms she has folded across her chest, seeming to ponder on it. "That's different."

"Still. If you come with us we'll be saving the ozone layers from being destroyed by pollution from two different vehicles. Saving the environment."

There's a long pause before she speaks.

"That makes absolutely no sense, Melissa."

I giggle, and I catch her smiling as well. That was kind of the point. I've always known i'm not funny but my sister says my jokes are the type you smile and shake your head to after realizing how senseless they are.