39

The first thing I did when I arrived school was not think. Shut off all reasoning. And that's why I crashed into Tyler in a big hug, my hands wrapped tight round his neck so he can come down to my level.

The only time I start thinking is now. All the adrenaline slowly slipping away has my eyes flit open so I can take in our environment, the many people around. The very many people.

Well, not that many, only sixty percent of students get to school this early but still. I just hugged Tyler in front of the whole school.

I just hugged Tyler.

With the new realization, I begin redrawing my hands from his broad shoulders so I can run off to somewhere suitable for extended human hibernation. Unfortunately, it's the same time Tyler begins to reciprocate the hug. His once tense body starts to relax, and his big hands find their way to my waist. Trapping me.

Mierda, there's so many people staring I can't—

Who cares, though?

They all already think him and I are in some sort of relationship. My ex-best friend couldn't have arrived before eight but even if she's not here, she's already in the know. And clearly wants nothing to do with me regardless of what I do or not do.

A series of applause starts slow, however increases. When I realize who it's addressed to- heat creeps up my cheeks. This is so embarrassing. And weird, and new, and annoying.

And cute.

And silly. Why are they clapping for us?

The bell rings for assembly, so the applause stops. Thankfully. No one really takes it seriously, except freshman students whom assembly is compulsory for, but the hallways still always have to be empty during assembly. Most of them are probably just going to hang out in an empty classroom till it's time for classes.

As they all begin to disperse, they make silly sounds. Really annoying sounds that make my smile grow wider. The girls scream in falsetto, and the guys whistle. One even yells, 'get 'er, tiger.' Stupid people. My smile is still a hundred watts bright.

Once our hands are off each other, Tyler takes mine into his and we just stand there staring at each other.

"So.. that was new?"

"The applause?"

"The hug." He corrects. I look away. "Wanna tell me what got you so bold?"

"Uh, we should probably go upstairs. I hear there's strict punishments for anyone found in the hallways during assembly."

"Alright." He picks his bookbag off the floor, and we go up the stairs. Hand in hand, if I may add. This is new.

The hallway on third floor is as empty as I love it to be right now, it's lighted up just enough and warmer than it is downstairs.

There's a fancy decorated area at the end of the hall that has glassy artworks placed on a crystalline table. It's my first time ever getting this close to it and I'm all about touching it. But Tyler's all about the stool kept next to the table. He sits on it and takes both my hands again. I'm not sure he should be sitting on such a fancy stool.

"Wanna explain now?"

I bite on my smile. "It's not so much, now that I think about it, I just— thank you. For the idea. And I've thanked my sister too but I wear she won't let me off the hook, she keeps responding with 'I can't hear you', wanna repeat that?'"

"Ah. The blog really did well then."

"Did well? Tyler, it went beyond my expectations. From the very first night I had people leaving comments. It means so much to me that, not only is something I wrote so out there, but people are leaving feedback on it. I'm so excited! And I think I've said the word 'so' way too many times."