26

"Aye!" Sir Neo hails in a thick accent just as I get out of the car and rush towards him, shuffling between running and walking. Walking whenever I remember I'm not a child anymore. He used to lift me off the ground when I was ten. Back then I thought he was a big guy, but I'm sixteen now and our heights have seemed to measure out. He's still a big guy to me, anyway, with a big heart. I'm just not ten anymore and him lifting me up, if not catastrophical enough to remind me I don't weigh forty eight pounds any longer, will be embarrassing to say the least.

He spreads both arms out for an embrace and I happily go in.  "We've missed you around here."

"Sure, because how can the store survive without me arranging out mechanical oils."

"Arranging them chronologically, yes." Both he and my dad who's just gotten to us, break into earth-shattering laughter. Baritone voices acting like it's an actual joke.

"I regret coming already."

"No, darlin' it's okay."

"You know, when she was three, she used to line her crayons up from darkest to lightest and if you dared mess it up, you'd get a load of her wrath."

They laugh again, and I just offer a tight smile to the beautiful situation.

Fortunately for me, they move onto other topics, like how the cars are doing, what new equipments are needed, and a lot other things that I filter due to not having any idea what they mean. Dad also talks to him about the main share, the part of the company that deals with shipping in new cars, and Sir Neo offers little advice here and there. I love how my dad's never been one to put anyone down, he might have the air of a stuck-up business man, but he isn't. If I say so myself. Since I was a child, I've watched him treat Sir Neo with the respect of an uncle. And he in return, treats my dad as a nephew or some sort, same treatment let down to me too as he's about the only one in this shop, well besides Nathan - sometimes, who never addresses me as 'the boss's daughter'. Not like anyone else blatantly does, but you could see it in the way they tried to be on their best acts, like one slack and I'll demanding for them a sack letter. It's frustrating sometimes. It's why I've always loved Sir Neo.

Coupled with the fact that he used to let me eat four cups of ice cream instead of one but we don't do that anymore.

"Is Nathan around?"

He stops listening to my dad and asks me to repeat my question, which I do. I get out of the side embrace and begin following his instructions to where he suggests Nathan might be.

The shop isn't much different from when I'd last been here, probably March I think? The air conditioner is still up too high, just like the MJR room, and it's part of why I wear mechanical overalls besides the desire to fit in since everybody here wears one, Nathan inclusive. The engine oils and other products are still lined on the numerous shelves with only a few spaces left vacant of ones that must've been sold. And they're all arranged randomly in no particular order, and a way that could give a person with OCD's minor migraine.

New faces, must be new employees, are spread all about the shop working. Some wave at me and I awkwardly wave back, some are too busy to notice me. And one asked if I was a new employee. I found it strange at first, as if the name Martinez was displayed on my forehead and she should know. But then I remembered the outfit I'm in and just shook my head, no, I think I smiled too I'm not sure.

I find Nathan only when I step outside through the back door and into the garage that's swarmed with cars up for repairs. He's, like expected, in his overall, his back turned to me. But the latter isn't for long since as he begins pointing at some of cars like he's numbering them, he finds me.  "You came."