Chapter 14.2

ONE DAY / TWO IT IS!

It was rather cold for midsummer, but Lara wasn't surprised; for the blistering wind that rattled the windows matched her mood entirely

It was rather cold for midsummer, but Lara wasn't surprised; for the blistering wind that rattled the windows matched her mood entirely. Pathetic fallacy, she thought the muggles called it. The day was ill, with tarnished skies and droplets of rain spitting onto the apartment building. 

Lara exhaled, alone in her living room and listening to the muffled conversations from the hallway. However, the words of Louis, Ella and Kieran were drowned out as her blue eyes found a portrait resting on the mantle piece, right above the fireplace. The portrait detailed a memory, a past that she would never get back.

Elijah was laughing in the photo, with Luna in his clutches, a wide beam across her pale features. Lara, however, had been drenched in freezing cold water, having been subject to a cruel prank from her brother, sister and cousin.

"I took that photo, remember" A deep voice recalled from behind Lara, who remained stoic, her gaze stilled in Elijah's bright eyes.

He had taken the photo, she recalled to herself, as her brother stepped to her left. The siblings stood in silence, only the patter of rain to echo the room now, reminiscing.  All until a flicker of light encircled her peripherals, along with the simmering of a cigarette being lit. Lara's brows screwed, fixation on the portrait dissipating and growing towards the tool in Louis' hands.

"I thought you said you'd stopped" Lara seethed, tucking a strand of white behind her ear to reveal her eyes filled with a cocktail of rage, confusion and worry.

Louis looked to the cigarette in his hands, eyes widening with surprise; for he had hardly realised he'd even lit one in front of his sister.

"I--I did" He nodded, looking up to her then down at the suspect once more. "It was just a habit" He further drawled, flicking it between his fingers and yearning to draw in its toxins - anything to subdue the heartbreak.

Everybody mourned the death in different ways. Lara cried, but poured herself into her studies almost obsessively and therefore found the role of prefect for the upcoming year at Hogwarts. Luna became completely silent, and accidentally broke off half her friendships because of it. She would also pour herself into her fantasies, cowering from the truth of her cousin. People starting to call her names due to this, with the term 'loony' resurfacing. Xenophilius, their father, became paranoid more than ever but was saved by Luna's magnificent stories of Nargles and The deathly Hallows (that was her favourite). Louis, on the other hand, picked up bad traits.

At the beginning he was just silent- much like everyone else-, but as more support surrounded him he became angry and claustrophobic, losing Yasmin in the process. That was when he started smoking; a foul habit that Lara and Yasmin equally loathed. However as time passed, the brother was beginning to heal.