chapter twenty six

ISAAC'S CONFESSION

"That I wasn't gay" he burst out

"Youre g-?!"

He shushed me quickly, scooting closer and slamming a hand firmly over my mouth. My eyes remained wide open, staring up at him.

He's gay?! I mean, that explains the whole jealousy thing. He was jealous i talked so freely about the boy I liked...

He looked at me with pure genuine, his eyebrows were creased and his eyes were pleading. He chewed on his lip ferociously, picking at the skin as if it were the last piece of meat on a dry bone. His anxiousness radiated off of him in waves, so I knew he was telling the truth...

But, this didn't make sense! He was insistent on getting with me last year, asking me to Hogsmeade, flirting when we met... I really didn't see this coming.

"Wha-but why did you-" I looked him up and down as I gently took his hands from my mouth, my voice at a small whisper now.

"Why did I feel the need to take advantage of a girl?" He finished, raising his eyebrow and tilting his head forward.

I nodded carefully.

"Look, I thought putting on this big act of being a 'hard man' that I could get a girl to like me. Louis told me that girls like boys who act like dicks so-"

"And you listened to my brother?!"

"I know! or I don't know, but that was my first mistake. I saw you on the first day of term last year and I thought maybe you'd want me, and I could see what kissing a girl felt like... but then you met Oliver and well, it wasn't going to plan"

"So why didn't you just find another girl?" My voice pushes, sourness dripping from my tone, accidentally.

"I was so desperate Lara! My head wasn't screwed on straight and I- I- I'm sorry, I didn't know what to do!"

"Calm down" I put my hand out, placing it on his left shoulder to console him, suddenly feeling terrible for criticising him when he is clearly in a bad state.

"So- so I put on this act for months and it didn't work, then I thought at the party you'd be drunk enough to kiss me and.. maybe do more. It was horrible I know but I needed to prove to my dad that- that I was his fathers son. And that I wasn't a disappointment to him"

My heart dropped.

I never knew Isaac was going through so much in his family home, I guess he was just so good at hiding it. But then keeping it led to the mess that was unleashed in front of me.