chapter twenty one

TAKE YOUR MIND OFF OF THINGS

"Now, with the quidditch semi-final coming up in a few weeks, I'm sure many bright and talented students will be putting all their energy into that

"Now, with the quidditch semi-final coming up in a few weeks, I'm sure many bright and talented students will be putting all their energy into that. However, as many of you know, in fifth year there is a spring ball held to celebrate the turning of the seasons, it will take place the evening before the big game."

The crowd fell into a small hum of excitement and terror. Girls gossiping about what to wear and who would take them, while boys groaned at the idea of anything formal.

"Silence" Dumbledore beckoned, allowing the hall time to hush.

"This spring ball, of course, will be formal. Formal attire must be worn by all fifth year students who choose
to attend. That is all" He finished, stepping off his podium prompting the buzzing students to heighten their conversations once more.

"Ball?" Kieran questioned, chewing his lip with anxiety.

I knew instantly he was thinking of ways he could ask Ella, before she could beat him to it.

The twins began to bicker over who would wear what colour to the ball. Which was very out of character for them to be arguing about clothing but I've learnt not to question them.

I glanced over to Oliver, thoughts running to who would be my date. He did not acknowledge the twins' conversation about the ball in the slightest, but instead kept his harsh stare on his notebook, not looking up once.

I wonder if he heard any of it... I wonder if he'll ask me, or just assume we are going together. I slump slightly at his alienated self in a lousy attempt to gain his attention, but he still doesn't notice.

Before long I give up on his stoic position and eat. Because what is life without food.

"Lara! Ella! you're coming dress shopping with me right?" Yasmin shouts from further down the table.

Me and Ella give a thumbs up, me slightly more hesitant due to the sulky, uninterested boyfriend next to me.

2 weeks later...

"Where are we going lass?"

"Jeez man, you have no patience. Come on!" I grabbed his hand, pulling him further down the stone path.

"It's cold" his Scottish accent whined.

"Well you should've put a coat on then" I laugh, increasing speed as the steps get steeper.

Oliver still dragged a little bit behind me, hand latched in mine. He was still not fully convinced he wanted to be out here on a brisk February day but somehow I'd managed to drag him away from the warm comfort of his dorm.