chapter two

rewritten

MISSING

     Larissa stumbled through the corridors, plimsol-clad feet shuffling against the varnished floors as she was pushed along roughly, engulfed in the cattle of students

     Larissa stumbled through the corridors, plimsol-clad feet shuffling against the varnished floors as she was pushed along roughly, engulfed in the cattle of students. She couldn't blame them though; for she felt that same invigorating excitement to be returning to the school, group anticipation flooding the air with a shared exhale of relief. Summer's isolation perished and everyone was going home. Everyone could breathe again.

Luna and Louis were gone, likely stretched across onto the other side of the platform by now as Louis had promised to find their younger sister some 'younger girls to sit with'. Luna had been understandably hesitant prompting Lara to utilise her mother's tone, "Little bug, we'll be close. Go make some friends for me, yeah?"

The little girl thinned her lips, craning her face from Louis' neck to nod, "good girl" their brother had cooed with a planting kiss to the girl's temple before whisking her away onto the train.

Larissa frowned, pawing at the itching embroidery of her robes as she moved on. She could remember her own first day, how nerve-wracking it had been as she stepped onto the platform, yet how equally exciting too. Cringing as the material bit into her skin, Lara cringed and gnawed at the flesh of her paper white cheeks before squeezing between two tall - strangely identical - red-haired pupils.

"Tiny human coming through!" One had remarked with a heart laugh, shoving his other half out of the way as Larissa slipped between them with a gentle but amused, "Thank you"

Finally reaching the train compartment, the girl yanked open the sliding door breathless and bruised from the battle of the corridor to be met with another body that, with no warning, crashed into her own. The unknown figure wrapped themselves on her like vines cuddling tree bark, squeezing the girl with strength and might and desperation.

The air fell out of Lara's lungs with a great humph! as the suffocating embrace tightened impossibly more, but Lara could smell the perfume from the other figure, and knew who it was instantly, "Ella!"

Ella giggled, pulling back but keeping a firm grip on her best friend's shoulders and - with a motherly glint ripping her gaze - analysed Lara before replying, "I'm so glad you're here! I've missed my little white rabbit" She taunted, reaching her bony hand with green fingernails to pinch at the Ravenclaw's cheeks, knowing full well the action made Larissa feel 'icky and childish'.

"Little?" Larissa swatted her hand away, to which Ella fleetingly protested, "I'm, like, two inches shorter than you"

Ella scoffed, her green and black robes bellowing around her as she spun to sit down across from Kieran, whose only visible feature was his pale white hands and red, fiery locks as his nose stuck in a book about dragons. Larissa smiled at him, but the grin broke as he mumbled "Two inches is generous"