I Just Can't

I was just feeling really tired. I decided to get at least a few more hours of sleep in for this weekend. I dozed off for about 3 hours, but when I woke up, there was complete silence in the house. I sat up and something on the bedside table caught my eye. It was a piece of paper. I grabbed it and read it. 

Come downstairs, we have to talk, it read. I was confused, but set the paper down and got up again. I went downstairs and saw Mr. and Mrs. Afton sitting at the dining room table. "Hey, what's going on?" I asked. They looked over and waved me over. I walked over and sat down in one of the chairs.

"So, I would tell you the whole story of what happened, but I don't want to bore you to death, so Imma just say it," Mr. Afton said. "We went to court today. We had this whole case thing and decided, instead of sending you back into foster care, we're going to let you stay here." My eyes widened.

"Really?" I asked. They nodded. "But, wait, wouldn't I have had to be there for that?"

"Well, it was this really weird thing where it just has to be the two guardians. I'm confused by it too, but eh, whatever," Mrs. Afton explained. I smiled.

"Thank you guys so much," I said gratefully. "I really appreciate it. I DO NOT want to go back into the foster care system."

-------------------------------------------------------

It was a good night. That's for sure. That night, we were doing things at random. I was helping Mrs. Afton make [Fav/ Dessert], when we heard the phone ring. Mr. Afton was the closest to it at the time, so he answered it. 

"Hello?" he said when he answered it. "Yes, this is William Afton..." We didn't think much of it, but then, Mr. Afton just dropped the phone with the saddest look on his face. He just broke down.

"Wait, what happened dad?" Michael asked.

"I-i-it's Chris," he replied.

"What happened?" Elizabeth asked.

"Oh my God, is my baby ok?" Mrs. Afton asked.

"He..." Mr. Afton started. "D-d-died." A silence filled the room. Even though I only knew Chris for about a week, I could feel tears in my eyes. Everyone was just frozen. Nobody could move. This was all so unreal.

--------------------------------------

I went downstairs the next morning and saw Mrs. Afton leaning over the kitchen counter. There was just a silence. No one else was down here, even though it's a school day. I was debating on whether or not I should say something. 

 I'd finally decided to say, "I miss him too." Even though I said it softly, Mrs. Afton flinched when she heard my voice.

"I miss him so much," she said quietly. "He was so young too."

"I know, I know," I responded. . I wish that I could take all of this pain away. But I just know that it's impossible.

I sighed and grabbed my bag. The whole day went by so slowly. It was so unreal. I really just wasn't sure what to think. Actually, now that I think about it, the next few weeks went by really slowly. 

I thought that driving lessons would get my mind off of what happened on that day, but it didn't help one bit. Michael and I still needed to get our driver's licenses, so we were both getting practice on the driving simulator and whatnot. I was taught how to drive by one of Mr. Afton's co-workers, Scott, and Michael was being taught by Mr. Afton.

I was sitting playing Uno with Elizabeth, when Michael and Mr. Afton walked inside. "How was the driving lesson?" Mrs. Afton asked.

"I thought that I was going to hate it, but oh my God, dad is the best driving instructor ever!" Michael exclaimed.

"Oh, wow, he was really that good, huh?" she asked.

"Yep! He taught me how to drive with one hand so I can give people the finger with the other!" he exclaimed. I was pursing my lips to try and stop from laughing, while Mrs. Afton was giving Mr. Afton a look that basically said, "Oh, you're so dead."

---------------------------------------

I started having dreams about the weirdest things. It was like a flash of these different animatronics. And I keep on hearing the words, "Trust me" echoing through my mind over and over again. And the weirdest part is that I'd wake up, just feeling like I'm being watched by something or someone.

 Mr. Afton started wearing this old Spring Bonnie animatronic suit. Something for work, I guess. Not really sure on excatly why, but every single time he'd put it on, we'd hear Elizabeth call out, "Mom, Dad's becoming a furry again!" and soon after that, we'd hear Mr. Afton yell back, "For the last time, it's for business, Elizabeth!" 

I came home from school with Michael ((He finally got his driver's licence!!!!)) and no one else was home. Mrs. Afton had informed us that she's working late tonight, so she wasn't going to be getting home until about 7 or 8. 

Mr. Afton was picking up Elizabeth, so he'd be home any minute now. The only day that Mr. Afton wasn't really working on Fridays. He'd opened up this one new kids restaurant called 'Circus Baby's Pizza World and Rental'. I had only gone in there once and that was just to help with organizing a few things.

I set my bag down and almost as soon as I did, Mr. Afton walked inside along with Elizabeth . I smiled. "Hey Eliza. How was school?" I asked.

"It was so fun! My class won an ice cream party for raising the most money in the fundraiser!" she exclaimed.

"Wow, sounds fun!" I said back. Elizabeth practically has an addiction to ice cream, so it made sense that she seems so happy and excited.

She went up to her room. I chuckled. Since it's a Friday and there's no weekend homework in any of my classes at the moment, I had a lot of time to chill. I started to go upstairs to my room ((And yes, I did get my own room a few weeks ago)), when Mr. Afton said, "Wait, [Y/N]. I have something to ask you." I stopped and turned around, walking over to him. "So, you know how I've been looking for new employees to work at the new restaurant, right?" I nodded. "Well, the minimum age that people can work there is 16, so I was just wondering, and you don't have to agree, but I was wondering if you might want to work there as a security guard." I thought about it for a few seconds.

"You know... I've been thinking about getting a part time job for a little while now, so yeah. Why not?" I stated.

"Awesome," Mr. Afton replied. "We'll get your uniform tomorrow." I smiled. Hey, at least I'll be making myself useful.