Chapter 42

"I know you want to hear more about it, but now's not the time, BD."

The droid made various impatient beeping noises as Cal trudged on.

"There's no escaping you, is there?" He replied light-heartedly.

More inquisitive noises were made. Cal rubbed his forehead, figuring that sharing his feelings with BD could help in some way.

"Altheeda's scared. She thinks that if we continued to be together it would ruin everything we're all working for in getting the holocron and rebuilding the Order. That's why she wanted to end it."

BD-1 gave a sad whistle in response.

"I can tell it was hard for her. Her feelings are still there, she even said so herself. But, I have to support her decision - I need to figure out how to let go."

The droid beeped a question at him and he pondered on it for a moment.

"I know that I should have told her about the Jedi code sooner, I don't know if it would have made much difference, but I owed her that much. She deserved the honesty, but I let my feelings get in the way."

This time BD-1 didn't respond, almost as if he was invested in what he had to say.

"I thought I knew what it was to be a Jedi... It's all up to me."

They eventually approached a wall in the middle of their path. Cal surveyed it momentarily and put his hands on his hips.

"It looks climbable, with some equipment."

Altheeda could have solved the issue effortlessly. It seemed like she was glued on his mind and this only made him wince. He sighed and quickly collected himself.

It was just in time, as a Nightbrother emerged from the top of the wall, heaving a large boulder down upon them. He darted back to avoid being crushed but felt the ground underneath him give way as he fell a great height. Once he recovered, he found himself in an area of Dathomir that was unfamiliar to him.

"Phew, I can't believe we made it!" He spoke to BD.

The little robot beeped back at him and it brought Cal a smile that he needed.

"You sure know how to have fun."

He then craned his head up towards the sky. His trail of thought was that if he fell down he would have to work his way back up to get back on track. He began to climb up the walls until he found a level that appeared to lead towards a door. He leapt onto it and approached this door, finding that it was blocked from the other side. He retraced his steps and found an opening in the walls that he could fit through.

He wormed his way through and examined the place he found himself in. As he strolled through a voice stopped him in his tracks.

"You will go no further."

It was the Nightsister he had encountered on his first visit. She materialised before him and he immediately put on a defence by igniting the double-ended feature of his lightsaber.

"Stand aside."

"No." She argued as he began to approach her. "He was right about you."

This threw him off slightly, having no clue who the Nightsister was referring to.

"Who... what?"

"The Jedi are thieves and selfish liars who bring nothing but death."

His mind ached at all of this, he was constantly being told different points of view of what a Jedi should be from various people. It was beginning to anger him, all the expectations and opinions.