Chapter 31

When the two redheads felt ready, they straightened up their posture and proceeded towards the cockpit, Altheeda placed her blaster on the sofa before following Cal into the room. Cere and Greez were sat at their stations and didn't get the chance to spare them a glance.

"Hey, Greez." Cal was the first among the group to speak. "You're famous down there."

"They're real big fans of yours." Altheeda chimed in sarcastically.

Greez looked up at them with a guilty expression and stammered.

"Yeah, they're an... ugly group, huh? At least you both are okay."

"Luckily we were able to find you both." Cere spoke with a straight face.

Cal then grew serious as he addressed the group on what had occurred on their expedition.

"We have an issue, the Empire knows about the holocron..."

"That's not good; the entire mission is now at risk." Cere shook her head. "These were complications we could have avoided." Cere gave the latero a look before addressing the duo with a stern look on her face. "But it did shed some light on something rather interesting."

Everyone in the room paused and eyed her curiously. Her gaze then shifted to Altheeda and she felt her stomach drop.

"The Haxion Brood were raving about it on their comms – a daughter of a Senator." She folded her arms.

Altheeda lowered her eyes in shame and Greez turned in his chair to stare at her in shock. She couldn't look anyone in the eye. Cal noticed her discomfort and his fingers lightly brushed against hers out of Cere and Greez's eyesight.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Cere narrowed her eyes, her tone was accusatory.

"I don't think it's very fair to act this way to Altheeda when you haven't been entirely honest with us, Cere." Cal intervened with a steely expression.

Both women looked up at Cal wide-eyed but for different reasons. Cere had shifted in her seat and Altheeda knew what he was about to say and was apprehensive about how it was all going to unfold.

"We had a nice chat with the Second Sister; Trilla." He spoke slowly, putting emphasis on Trilla's name.

Cere mirrored Altheeda's reaction when she was challenged on her lack of honesty and it surprised the redheaded girl. She found herself feeling sorry for Cere because of their similar situations and instead of wanting to call her out, she wanted to listen to her and understand her.

"What did she tell you?" She asked quietly.

"She told me... She told me that you betrayed her to the Empire; is that true?"

Greez glanced over at them, stunned by what he was hearing and like the rest of them, was eager to hear what Cere had to say for herself.

"She'll say anything to jeopardise this mission." She quickly shot back.

"Is it true?!" Cal pressed.

The Jedi's anger troubled her greatly and everyone could feel the tension rising at an alarming rate.

"Cere." Altheeda spoke softly. 

She drew in a breath and stared Cal directly in the eyes as she addressed him.

"She was my apprentice before the Purge."

"You should have told me."

"Altheeda." Cere diverted her attention the redheaded girl.

She sighed and nodded guiltily, feeling as if she had been cut open and had her emotions laid bare for all to see. It was painful for her, but she knew it was probably the same for Cere.