Chapter 2

The next day, Altheeda sat alone in the hub, in the same spot she always sat in. Her box was nestled beside her, the worn leather straps attached to the box along with the wrench rested on her thigh. It was quiet for a moment until she heard footsteps descend down the stairs. Cal gave her a small wave as he proceeded to his locker.

"You came back." She stated, almost surprised.

"Of course, it's a job. I work here now." He replied slowly.

"No, I know that – it's just a lot of people don't come back after their first day."

"Really?"

"Yeah, so you're really committed to this, huh?"

Cal shrugged and gave her a shy smile which she returned. He opened the locker and took out the lone tool box that was inside.

"Do you know what we're doing today?" Cal asked to break the silence.

"One of the droids told me that we're cleaning ships at line 5-S and somewhere else, but I've forgotten. Prauf will get told on the way in so we'll find out anyway."

"Just cleaning?"

"Yup, it's really easy – I find it kind of boring; it has to be done I guess."

"Should we put our tools back?"

"You can if you want." She spoke, emphasising the word 'you.'

"And you won't?"

"I just like them with me."

She went to stand, forgetting about the wrench and it fell from her leg with a loud clatter, skidding across the floor. She tutted at herself and Cal sped over to pick it up only for Altheeda to cry out in protest.

"Don't touch that!"

He froze suddenly and lifted his hands defensively. She swiped it and held it tightly in her fist. Cal had an apprehensive expression on his face as she retreated back to her locker. At that moment, Prauf had walked down the stairs and frowned at the awkward silence, glancing between the two of them.

"Is everything alright?"

"Fine." Altheeda muttered. "I'll see you at line 5-S."

She briskly took the tool box and herself out of the room, eager to get to work and forget about the situation. Prauf's eyebrows narrowed at her and Cal had become withdrawn.

"You sure everything's fine?" Prauf questioned.

"I'm okay..."

"Did you use one of her tools?"

Cal went quiet and looked away from the Abednedo native.

"It's okay, you can tell me, Cal. I won't be mad."

"I didn't use them; she just dropped one and I wanted to pick it up for her."

"It's a kind thing to do." Prauf complimented. "Altheeda just doesn't like people touching that tool box. It's the same with the tools that come with it. Don't take it personally, kid."

Cal nodded sheepishly.

"She was the same with me until she got to know me better. You don't need to feel bad about it." Prauf reassured, putting a hand on his shoulder, guiding the boy to walk with him. "I'll have a word with her."

"Don't do that."

"She shouldn't have behaved the way she did over it. She can be too overly-protective over that box."

"It's fine, Prauf."

Prauf nodded as they arrived at the line. Altheeda could be seen at the end, scrubbing the side of a ship. They walked over to her but she did not acknowledge them at first, she was too engrossed in her work. The sound of soapy water sloshing inside the rusting bucket in front of her after being disturbed by a dirty sponge that she tossed in there.