Chapter 1

Nestled amongst a vast junkyard, packed with droids, Stormtroopers and Galactic Empire personnel was a communal area. It had row of lockers, a bench or two and the odd tool or screw sprawled across the floor. It was the hub for the employees that worked there and was currently occupied by two that were in conversation before their shift was about to start.

"Altheeda, how was line 3-Q looking yesterday?" Prauf asked, peering over his cup.

"It's got the all-clear."

A young woman approaching her mid-teens sat on the ground with her legs outstretched and her back leaning against the metal of a bench. A worn, yet well-loved tool box with the name 'Reeve' etched onto it, sat beside her. Her dark, auburn hair fell in waves past her shoulders as she tinkered with a wrench, twisting it around with her fingertips as her grey eyes fixated on it. Facing her was a male of the Abednedo species, significantly taller and stockier than the human girl, yet radiated a friendly aura from him that would welcome almost anyone.

"Anyone giving you trouble?" He asked, changing the subject after taking a gulp from his cup.

"You know how it is, Prauf." She mumbled, the spanner catching the light at times as it flipped around her fingers.

"I just wanted to know if anything had changed."

"No." Her face remained emotionless for a while until she decided to direct a question back onto him. "Are you going to visit Abednedo any time soon?"

"The last time I went was a few months ago."

"Oh, the time with that woman at the bar?" She smirked, looking over her spanner.

"She didn't make a move on me!" Prauf protested, nearly spluttering on his drink.

"She was interested in you, Prauf!"

"She wasn't!"

"She was!" Altheeda cooed.

Prauf became quite flustered which entertained her and she pointed the spanner at him as she laughed.

"You're quite the ladies' man."

"I'm nothing like that." He blushed.

"You should have gone for it."

"Nah." He shook his head, taking one final swig to finish his drink, then setting his cup aside. "If you're done with your giggling, I have some news to tell you."

"Hm?"

"We have a new kid starting today. He's a similar age to you, so you have a new person to tease."

"You'll still get some it aimed at you, Prauf; don't you worry about that." She flashed him a cheeky grin as she wiped the dust off her from where she sat and tossed her spanner into her box, causing a loud clang.

"Lucky me." He chuckled.

"So, when's this new guy arriving?" She asked, tossing her thick coat in her locker and slamming it shut.

"Any time now; he had to sort out some lodging first. We're the ones looking after him, helping him settle in."

"Sure."

Altheeda crouched to make sure her boot laces were properly tied as Prauf clipped on his belt. She then leant against her locker, waiting for Prauf to finish getting ready until she watched a human boy follow a foreman droid down the steps towards them. The Abednedo man approached them with a welcoming smile.

"This is our newbie! I'm Prauf." He spoke warmly, offering his hand.

"I'm Cal; Cal Kestis." He replied in a reserved manner, shaking Prauf's hand firmly.