Chapter 32

Cal had spent the night meditating to try clear his head but the results were not satisfactory to him and he had laid on his bed until sleep consumed him for the rest of the night. When morning arrived, he had woken up to a hand on his shoulder shaking him awake. He turned onto his side and his eyes fluttered open to see Greez standing before him, startling him just the tiniest bit.

"Hey kid. Hey, wake up. Can we talk?"

"What?" He grumbled.

"I don't know what's going on between you and her." The latero began and perched himself on the edge of the bed before Cal could have the chance to sit up. "I figure it must be some kind of Jedi thing, but this isn't the right time for it."

The redhead sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"It's not any of your business."

"I think it is." Greez argued back, his demeanour calm. "I mean, we're all in this together aren't we?"

Cal paused, knowing he was right but was becoming stubborn. Trust was hugely important to him and if he couldn't trust Cere then were they really all in it together? He rolled his eyes at Greez and stared out as he heaved a sigh.

"Hey, Cal... I made a mistake, and that almost got you and Altheeda killed. I'm sorry. We all make mistakes, right?"

He mulled over Greez's words, his head was lowered.

"Well, maybe not you."

The Jedi lightly shook his head at this and a smile escaped him. He didn't really consider himself to be perfect in anyway but he appreciated the comment all the same.

"Why don't you cut her some slack? I'm not saying do it for me, but you all are the best thing that ever happened in my life. Before you came along, all I cared about was a tight hand on a stiff heater – that's a game term."

"I know what it is."

"Cal, life is not a game. All I cared about was myself before you three came into my life. Easy money. Now it's different."

He could feel himself becoming less tense as he listened to Greez becoming more open. He let out a breath he had unintentionally been holding in. Before anything else could be said, a knock on the door roused them both and it slid open to reveal Altheeda. She quickly realised that Greez was also present and her eyes lit up after registering this and gave him a smile too.

"Sorry, am I interrupting anything?"

"You missed Greez saying that we're the best thing that's happened to him." Cal smirked.

"Aw, that's sweet of you." She addressed Greez who became rather bashful. "I wish I came here earlier so I could hear it for myself."

"Fix this damn ship and I might say it again." The latero joked which made everybody chuckle.

"Well, I'll meet you both in the lounge." She spoke before giving a quick wave goodbye and walking out of sight.

Cal watched her go with a content expression and Greez noticed it, becoming rather fascinated by his shift in behaviour. He looked back at the door and then back at the Jedi before nudging him gently with a knowing look on his face. He blinked rapidly and turned his head to one side as the latero male stood up.

"Please think about what I said, kid." He spoke once he reached the door, growing solemn again.

Once he left, Cal sat still for a while, registering the conversation he had with Greez. He had never felt so much conflict inside himself before and he was internally begging for it to stop. He decided to put it to one side and reflect on it once again during his travels. During his time of meditating during the night, he decided Dathomir was going to be top priority for the time being. It was the only planet that was mentioned that hadn't been explored and he needed to see it for himself. He exited his cabin and was on route to the lounge area, finding everyone was present and raring to go. BD-1 was the first to acknowledge him, giving him a friendly beep and leaping onto his place on his back from the counter.