Chapter 23

Cal was about to lead the way but suddenly stopped in his tracks, doing a sharp turn back towards the ledge from where the climbed from.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

"I'll explain in a second." He reassured then jumped down onto a lower platform.

She watched eagerly with folded arms as he crouched next to the body of a stormtrooper placing a calm hand above it and becoming rather focused. After a moment of reflection, he stood up straight once again and proceeded to climb up the wall again, taking Altheeda's helping hand once he reached the top.

"Saw got that one." Cal spoke in a low voice.

"How can you tell?"

"Force echo; similar to the experience I had with your toolbox."

"I see." She nodded.

"He's much more ruthless than we thought." He added, his face growing blank.

Cal paused to briefly force push a door open and she followed behind him, they both balanced on a log to cautiously cross to approach the imperial refinery. They descended down a hill, spotting a group of Stormtroopers guarding the entrance. He jumped down, descending on a clueless trooper and eliminating it. Altheeda stayed on the hill and shot at the Stormtroopers from above, successfully taking out a handful of them. Once the threat had been extinguished, she jumped down and re-joined him.

"What's our plan for when we go through these doors?" She asked as the approached the entrance.

"There's going to be a lot of Stormtroopers on the other side. I'll take them, don't worry about me. If there's any doors that need your attention I'll cover you and if you need BD-1 just let me know."

BD-1 whistled in response. Altheeda gave a nod at the droid then patted Cal's shoulder with her free hand.

"You got this, Jedi."

He smirked before pressing buttons. The doors parted and they slowly crept in, peering around a corridor that was riddled with more Imperial troops. They were given away by their footsteps and the troopers raced across to unleash an attack. Altheeda crouched by the corner and opened fire at them as Cal took the front line. She ran to catch up him after the threat of the troopers was no more. She opened the next door with ease, but to their dismay it revealed a haunting enemy.

It was a purge trooper, the same kind they had come across on that fateful day on Bracca. Its sinister red visor on the helmet glowed along with the red warning lights that flashed around them. It turned to face them after slaughtering rebel fighters and Cal and Altheeda immediately became weary.

"A Jedi? Now this is what I have been training for." The Purge trooper spoke menacingly.

Altheeda spotted the door on the other side of the room, knowing that was her obstacle to deal with, but knew she had to somehow get around Cal's obstacle that was the purge trooper. Cal picked up on her apprehension and ran towards the purge trooper, providing himself as a distraction. She wasted no time in darting past their battle, pushing the buttons on the door frantically but to no avail. She quickly realised the electricity had been cut off and it would take far too long to rectify. As she searched around the area, she noticed grating to a ventilation system and figured that it would have to do.

She kicked at the metal grating to pry it apart for them to squeeze through. She quickly set eyes at Cal, who was struggling against his opponent and the temptation to help him was strong. Thankfully, he managed to recover and delivered the finishing strike onto the purge trooper.

"What have you come up with?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"The door is too much work in too little time, so we're going through the vents."