Chapter 24

Wookiees and fighters cheered with delight as they ran from their positions to celebrate their success. BD-1 even joined in with the cheering through his beeping and whistling; Cal watched in wonder as they all thanked him for his relentless effort. Altheeda enjoyed watching him get the positive attention he deserved, it was a poignant moment for him. He then faced her with cheerful smile and she returned it.

"Cal – that was incredible!" She exclaimed and gave him a tight hug.

He was at a loss for words, but he savoured the hug and shut his eyes briefly, focusing on the moment and his achievements. He hadn't realised his full potential until this mission he had carried out for Saw. He was stunned by the success and compliments, but it gave him more confidence. They separated when Saw called out for Cal whilst Altheeda took a step back to allow them to speak with each other.

"You've seen what the Empire has done to Kashyyyk. My Partisans could use a Jedi on our side."

Cal distributed sincere looks to Saw, the wookie and the Paritsan that gave him pleading stares.

"I really am honoured but... We have our own mission I can't walk away from. Not yet." He spoke solemnly.

"My offers still stand for the both of you. Keep them in mind." Saw spoke understandingly, nodding at both Cal and Altheeda before walking away.

They watched him stride away until the Partisan stepped forward with the Wookiee and introduced herself.

"I'm Mari Kosan and this is Commander Choyyssyk."

Commander Choyyssyk gave a roar as a greeting and the pair of them smiled.

"Uh... sorry we're not quite fluent." Cal admitted.

"Choyyssyk says that he'll do what he can to find Tarfful and vouch for you." Mari explained.

"Have faith, Cal. We'll be in touch with your ship. Saw also told me that you're looking for some spare parts, Altheeda. We'll let you know what we find."

"Thank you, I'd appreciate anything." Altheeda nodded.

"We better get back to the ship. Thank you, Mari." The Jedi gave a wave of thanks before making tracks with Altheeda by his side.

They were on route to a lift and they stepped inside it and Cal pushed various buttons to get it moving.

"How are you feeling?" Altheeda asked.

"Good." He replied confidently with his hands on his hips. "Great, actually."

"I'm really happy for you, Cal."

"It's a nice feeling, being appreciated as a Jedi. To think there was a time where I thought I'd be hiding it forever."

They fell briefly silent, the rumble of the lift dominating the atmosphere. His mind mulled over her words; he knew he didn't need only her approval in his actions but he valued it greatly. He began thinking back to what he said to her during the night, whether she had actually heard his words.

"Do you remember what I said to you last night? Before you went to sleep?" He asked slowly.

"When you told me that you were grateful that I was with you?"

"Y-yeah that."

"Why do you ask?" She spoke with a curious gleam in her eye.

"Oh, er, just wanted to make sure you heard me, I thought you were asleep." He replied with a quirky smile. "I do mean it though; I'm glad you were here with me today."

"You know I'm always here for you, Cal." She grinned.

Her words and her grin that lit up her face made him absolutely enthralled by her. Before he even realised it, he was looking into her eyes, then the freckles on her face, her button nose, the little scar on her temple. He was so caught up in his adoration for her. Altheeda instantly noticed the atmosphere and its similarity to past events.