Chapter 38

The sunset was just beginning to set as Cal and Altheeda approached the ramp to the Mantis. They strode in hand in hand to find Cere and Greez in the kitchen area of the lounge and BD-1 made a series of gleeful sounds to announce their arrival, then unmounted from Cal's back to run freely around the area. The Jedi visibly tensed when he locked eyes with Cere and Altheeda squeezed his hand in reassurance before letting go to take off her toolbox from her back and cast it aside. Greez caught eye of the hand-holding and gave the pair a smirk before turning to Cere to see her reaction, which she chose to conceal.

"Well?" She began awkwardly.

"Cordova believed the key to the vault is on Dathomir." He explained as he was overtaken by his companion who had taken her seat at the table.

"I take it you found your Wookiee – they dropped off your scrap." Greez spoke light-heartedly.

"That scrap is going to sort out the state of your ship." Altheeda bantered with him.

"But you spoke with Tarfful?" Cere pressed as she took her seat next to the latero.

"Yup, but things are real bad down there." The male redhead muttered as he sat on the remaining seat. "The Empire is everywhere."

"Inquisitors?"

Altheeda nodded as she tucked into her food. She didn't care what it was and was thankful to have something to eat.

"Well, Trilla..."

Everyone gave Cal a look for various reasons, nevertheless; he continued with what he was saying.

"Second Sister... she's gone for now but still chasing us."

He then took a drink before changing the subject.

"I defeated Ninth Sister."

BD-1 made a whistle of celebration and Cere lightly gasped. Greez gave Cal an impressed glance as he reached for a container and began shaking seasoning onto his dish as Altheeda watched. The awkwardness reached a peak and was felt by all of them and Greez became distracted by it, neglecting his seasoning and the increasing amount concerned the redheaded girl. Cal fiddled with his food and Cere simply lowered her head as the silence loomed over the table. Eventually, she built up the courage to break it.

"Cal, when I was captured by the Empire... I resisted."

He froze, he was listening to her, Altheeda could tell that much; but he was already very reluctant and dismissive. Cere was just only beginning to explain herself to him.

"I swore to myself that I'd die before they'd get me to talk."

He paused on his meal, the clang of his cutlery on the table heightened the tense atmosphere once more. Altheeda turned to him, analysing him with a stern expression before devoting her energy back to Cere.

"But a dark shadow came... and he was worse than anything I could have imagined. Altheeda knows, I've told her this before." She gestured to her and received a vouching nod. "I still put up a fight."

At this point, the Jedi swivelled on his chair to face away from the table, his arm still resting on the surface. His expression was almost vacant. BD-1 was perched on the other end of the table and studied the conversation with great intrigue. Altheeda was beginning to feel disappointed in Cal's behaviour and tutted under her breath. Cere lowered her head once again whilst Greez nonchalantly continued to over-season his food and listen to the exchange.

"Cal, please listen to what Cere has to say." She spoke in a low voice. "Please."

She placed a hand on his lower arm and his shoulders slowly lowered. This time, Cere raised an eyebrow at this particular interaction and Greez turned his head to and fro to gage his captain's reaction, and to gawk at the pair. Cal and Altheeda hadn't realised they were now a spectacle, he was deep in his conflicting thoughts and she was trying to get him to see sense. When he was ready, he faced the group and she slipped her hand back to her lap.