Chapter 47

The Mantis had made its arrival on an icy planet smothered in snow. The howls of the blustery wind echoed around them in the silent cockpit. Altheeda made the first move, departing the room to the rear of the ship to tinker idly on the workbench. As Greez opened the doors, the cold air invited itself inside as an unwanted visitor. Cal gritted his teeth as BD-1 clambered onto his shoulder before he made his way to the open door. The pilot was the only one of the crew to not budge from his seat.

Before Cere moved to converse with the Jedi that had stood still, she reflected on what she was about to do. Despite what he was going through, she believed in him. She wasn't sure if that was clear enough to him, knowing their past misunderstandings had hindered the rapport that was already slow in development. Her personal issues were also an obstacle, yet she realised that it was something that her alone had to face, not for anyone else. She was sure that what she was about to trust him with would give him the monumental push he needed. She tentatively approached him as he stared out at the white haze outside and his trail of thought was broken by Cere's considerate tone.

"Cal."

He turned to face her, noting the wariness in her eyes.

"You will be tested."

"Yeah." He nodded. "It's a new day, and I'm ready."

"I don't mean just here. Every Jedi at some stage faces the dark side."

Her words were left to linger with the uncertain aura in the air. It was at that moment that Cere reveal a lightsaber from behind her. She looked down upon it as she spoke.

"And it's very easy to fail."

"You're still struggling with the dark side." He acknowledged. "Even after cutting yourself off from the Force."

"We will always struggle with it." She shook her head as her hold on the weapon tightened. "But that is the test. It's the choice to keep fighting that makes us who we are."

It was then Cere offered her old lightsaber to Cal with a trusting yet determined gleam in her eyes. He didn't take too long to accept the gesture and he stared at both Cere's and his lightsabers in each hand, eying them both thoughtfully before stashing them away.

"I guess it's finally time I find out who I am."

Cere gave him a final, affirming nod before taking a step back, allowing him to depart on his physical and mental journey he was embarking on. As she watched him disappear into the horizon, she mentally wished him success then turned her attention to Greez.

"Keep watch for me, Greez."

"I ain't going anywhere." He nodded.

When she reached the other side of the ship, she had found Altheeda in deep concentration, sorting between the spare parts and scraps that had been handed to her from their connections on Kashyyyk. Her organisation was precise and neat, yet her expression didn't look very satisfied. At first glance, one would have thought that this was directed at her work, but Cere knew her better than that, she was unsatisfied with herself and dialogue going on inside her head.

"What are you thinking about?" Cere asked gently.

Altheeda heaved a sigh, fiddling with a piece of metal in her hands.

"I feel like a hypocrite."

She instantly knew what the topic of conversation was about to be. She continued to watch Altheeda's thought process race through her brain, allowing her to be in control of the talk.

"I've contradicted myself and I did it in front of Cal. I feel so stupid."

"What happened?"

"Cal and I were talking last night." She spoke sheepishly. "This whole situation is taking its toll on him. And, I ended up telling him to make his own interpretation of being a Jedi."