Chapter 5

Prauf and Cal were tasked with scaling the taller pieces of scrap in the yard for the day and had just completed a check on a wing. They both abseiled down to the ground and got to work separating themselves from the ropes.

"You happy to give that one the all-clear?" Cal turned to his friend as he took off his headphones.

"Yeah, it's good." Prauf agreed. "Not long left to go."

"Is it nearly time already?"

"You've been working hard, kid; so, the time is going to fly."

Cal gave him a smile of thanks and began gathering their tools together.

"Where to next?"

"2-A."

"That sounds like a plan."

Once he had sorted their belongings they took a leisurely trek to their next location. The faint clang of metal echoed all around the air, making it difficult to track their sources. He blocked most of it out, focusing on following Prauf and climbing various parts to proceed forward. Many foreman droids whizzed around and were ignored by the two men until one particular droid passed by.

"Scrapper needs medical attention at line 6-F"

Cal paused momentarily. He quickly pieced the information he just heard and his eyes widened in realisation.

"What's wrong, Cal?"

"6-F..."

"That's where Altheeda's stationed." Prauf nodded, slightly confused at what Cal was trying to get at.

"Did you not hear what the droid said?"

"Which one?"

"One of them said a scrapper needed medical attention at 6-F." He explained with a fretful expression.

"You don't think..."

"We need to check."

"But what do we say when they catch us off duty?"

"I'll come up with something, Prauf. Come on."

Another droid had passed them, announcing that the scrapper at line 6-F had been transferred back to the headquarters. They knew exactly where to go. Together, they rushed across the scrap yard; taking great care in not injuring themselves but still moving with a strong sense of urgency. When they reached the headquarters, their items were tossed aside as they sped through the door.

Their fears were confirmed to be true. Altheeda was sat, cradling her arm and wincing in pain as a medical droid examined it. Her eyes were watery but she refused to let a single drop fall, she wanted to be brave for herself, then noticing that the two men had ran in, she was definitely not going to show any sign of pain in front of them.

"Theeda!" Cal cried as he knelt to her side.

"What happened?!" Prauf asked both her and the medical droid.

"It was nothing." She spoke through gritted teeth. "Don't worry about me, go back to work."

"It doesn't look like nothing." The fellow redhead retorted.

"I just fell and landed funny that's all."

"Your arm looks like it's in bad shape." He spoke firmly, with Cal nodding in agreement.

"It was just me being clumsy, there's nothing more to – Ow!" She cried out in pain as the medical droid has prodded on a tender part of her arm and tried to wriggle away from it.

"Behave yourself, young lady. The droid's trying to help you." Prauf reassured.

She huffed and puffed, becoming still for the droid to apply a cast onto her lower arm.