Chapter 25

Once their break was over, they continued through the wilderness of Kashyyyk until the Stinger Mantis, along with the landing bay were in sight. A lot of time had elapsed throughout their journey back and the sun was beginning its decent in the sky. As the duo approached the ramp of the ship, Cere and Greez had walked out to greet them, having spotted them in the distance.

"Cal, Altheeda – it's good to see you back in one piece. Mari Kosan contacted us to explain that you couldn't find Tarfful." Cere spoke.

"I love risking our lives for nothing – it's fantastic." Greez added dryly.

"It wasn't for nothing." Altheeda folded her arms.

"Mari and Choyyssyk will come through for us." Cal reassured.

"Nice to see the optimism – especially from you Altheeda. It's a nice change."

Altheeda hummed at this and the group smirked at each other.

"Hey, I'm a positive guy too. I'm positive that if I die, I'll be very upset." The latero commented, sending everyone into giggles.

"I like your thinking, Greez." The redheaded girl nodded.

"Great minds think alike." He replied with a thumbs up.

BD-1 chirped at this and Cere smiled at the little droid before continuing to speak.

"You did good, the both of you. We may have not found Tarfful yet, but you saved lives today – don't forget that."

"Save the thanks for, Cal." Altheeda smiled. "He did most of the work."

"You have a part in this too, Altheeda. No matter how small you think it may be." Cere noted.

"Anyways, can we celebrate with some dinner?" Greez asked impatiently. "It's already on the table and it's getting cold."

"Let's not wait any longer." Altheeda chuckled and sped up the ramp with Greez closely behind her as Cal and Cere leisurely walked in the rear.

The group assembled at the table and ate their meal, conversing as usual. The more they spoke with each other the more comfortable they grew around one another. Their length at the table extended each night they had dinner all together and they didn't seem to mind at all. After the usual cleanup; Cal, Altheeda and BD-1 had moved to the rear of the ship, they were going to take in turns to use the ship work bench. She was sat on the ladder to the side that led down to the engines, her legs hanging over the rungs and idly swinging. She watched eagerly as Cal tinkered with his lightsaber whilst BD-1 watched up close, standing on the table itself nearby Altheeda's tool box.

"So, what exactly are you doing to it?"

"Just a bit of maintenance." He muttered as he concentrated on his actions.

"I never got to ask you, why is it blue?" She spoke, fascinated by the device.

"It's to do with the kyber crystal." He spoke casually.

"What's that?"

It almost hadn't crossed his mind that Altheeda would have little knowledge on this topic, he was so used to being surrounded by people who knew, not to mention also having to spend years concealing it, with the exception of her catching him red-handed with it. He was ready to share that part of his life with her and let her in to something so personal to him.

"They're literally one of the most important components to a lightsaber. It's a key part of Jedi training we learn about."

"Go on."

He gestured for her to come closer and BD-1 beeped at the redheaded girl. She smiled and stood up on the ladder to swing round to the other side and climb down onto the floor. She stood next to him, slightly behind him to not interrupt his work but he gently guided her forward to stand next to him so she had clear view of the lightsaber.