Chapter 44

The large gash on the door to the Mantis that had been made by Second Sister posed as a battle scar of the past for the crew. Altheeda analysed it with furrowed brows, the memory of that encounter festering in her mind. She shook it off, shaking her head at it and began her work to repair it.

She couldn't believe that only a short amount of time had passed since then. It felt like her old job at Bracca was a lifetime away. She could barely recall the person she was in that stage, it was almost as if she became a stranger to herself. Altheeda evolved into something she hadn't expected of herself, but surprisingly she was happy.

As happy as she could be.

Having to put her progressing relationship with Cal on hold was still a massive task. She felt more settled that morning compared to the previous one. This time around, she had managed to hold a comfortable conversation with him and wish him well on his third outing into Dathomir. It put her in a good mood, setting her up for the day. Yet, there was still a part of her that didn't want to hold back. She accepted it was always going to linger, she had strong feelings for him.

She was in love with him, but was unsure of what to do with it, especially as she was the one that had put things on hold. She felt almost hopeless, like her feelings were going to waste. She kept telling herself that it wouldn't be permanent, that she could reunite with him in that way when he completed his mission.

But what if he couldn't do it?

She mentally scolded herself for thinking such a thing. He was going to be successful, he had to be. If anyone was up to the task it was him. He had made it this far and his resilience was unwavering. As long as that was in tact, Altheeda knew there was nothing to fear with the mission bestowed upon Cal.

Taking a step back from the door, she began clearing her mind from the intrusive thoughts that had crept up on her. She took a deep breath and admired her work. The mark on the door was nowhere in sight. The Mantis was now able to move on from that moment and Altheeda was on her way in doing the same.

***

Cal's eyes flew open in panic, his chest working over-time to keep up with his rapid breathing. He had only sat down to meditate and rest after his trek towards the tomb door and instead found himself trapped in his own mind, reliving an event he thought he had padlocked in his brain.

Yet, he found himself not in the spot where he had settled. The scenery around him had changed and the air around him was thick, he couldn't see anything that was ahead of him except for white specks that floated around him. He glanced over his shoulder and noted BD-1's absence, beginning to look around in search for the little droid until a voice rattled him.

"Padawan."

Through the mist, none other than Jaro Tapal emerged and paused directly in front of him.

"It's time for instruction."

He then armed himself with his lightsaber and Cal did the same. He then entered a duel with his former Master and with each strike, he was critiqued.

"You lack technique. Your will is weak. You let fear break your connection to the Force."

Cal found himself delivering a final strike onto Jaro Tapal and became startled when he found him stood calmly with his own lightsaber through his stomach.

"Yes, my blood is on your hands, apprentice." He taunted.

Cal shook his head the tiniest amount, his rooting him to the spot. Jaro then put his hands over Cal's, shaking his grip on his weapon as he spoke.