Chapter 1 - On the Case

Nearly Eighteen years have passed since the day Josh left home. Those were the final days when everyone considered each other as family.

Since those days, so much has changed. Indeed, breaking the trio plus Alex apart was the best decision at the time. They've each gone out to make a name for themselves in their respected careers.

James lives the fat cat life in Chicago. However, he makes his life look much better than it appears. He enjoys rubbing it in Josh's face when they are forced to talk.

Josh, on the other hand, is now the lead investigator for the DEA. He's one of the agencies finest, but his latest assignment finds him struggling to land any balance in his life.

Across the country, things are becoming worse with a deadly drug gripping the nation by storm. It's a drug commonly called Southern Sugar, a highly addictive substance that's able to be injected into the body in several ways. Most people choose to snort or smoke it, but the quickest way to hit the high is to inject it with a needle.

There is one way to tell when someone goes to overdose from this deadly drug of choice. The signs include a red-like substance dripping from the victim's eyes, making it appear that they're crying blood.

On a night where Josh believes he can finally break through the barrier to the distributor, he sends in an informant arrested a few nights earlier who cooperated to make a deal.

While his informant makes his way into a house where he swears a well-known trafficker keeps plenty of product.

"Alright, there goes our scumbag," Josh says, beginning to feel nervous.

"Good thing is we can hear everything on the digital bug we planted on this scumbag. I'm telling you, man, this contract with INSIDE is making waves." Josh's partner Dave indicates listening over his earwig.

"Glad I was able to convince my old friend James to hook up the department with state-of-the-art stuff. Granted, we don't see eye to eye anymore, but he's not about to let our old personal issues get in the way of doing our jobs." Josh explains, pushing against his earwig to listen for the signal and send in the agents surrounding the house.

The tension inside the SUV is at an all-time high when Josh's cell phone rings.

"Hello," he answers, trying to keep his attention on his earwig.

"Dad, for real, you got to come to get me! I want to come home!" Connor tells his father, wanting to escape from his summertime visit with Momma Cline.

"Connor, son, I don't have time for this right now. I will call you in the morning, and we'll discuss it. You know momma loves it when you come to visit. Now I have to go, son; I'm sorry, but I will call you back." Josh scolds him closing his phone before he drops it in the cupholder.

"Kids..." Dave states, waiting to listen for the signal.

Josh shakes his head for a moment, but then the keyword comes across the wire out of nowhere.

"I got a set of cards in play, and the hand is stacked." The informant says.

"Alright, you all heard the man; that's the signal, everyone! Move-in right now!" Josh orders the eager agents, ready to bust down the doors.

They swiftly make their move, kicking in both the front and rear doors. A couple of agents break the windows and toss in a few flashbang grenades, and wait for them to explode before rushing the rest of the way into the house.

Josh and Dave get out, fixing their DEA caps as they jog up close to the house, where a distress call goes out over the wire.

"All agents abandon the house now!" An agent screams into his wire seconds before a massive explosion erupts from inside, shattering everything within a thirty-foot distance.