Chapter 20 - Fallen Kingdom

The press conference comes to an end, but the reporters don't leave. Every channel and station feels the buzz surrounding Tampa as the events continue to unfold.

"Mr. President, sir, why didn't you bring up the destruction of Detroit?" Josh questions when the door closes.

"Let Detroit crumble, my boy." President Klifton takes his seat behind the desk.

"Detroit needs to go; so, we can rebuild it but with a new twist. You know as well as I do it's been a shit hole for over a generation. I have ideas for Detroit, Youngstown, Ohio, and one last location near the Canadian border."

Josh is stumped at this idea and continues to probe for information. He comes up to the desk taking his seat with his legs crossed, ready to learn more.

"You have my attention, sir. What plans do you have for these cities?"

With a long breath, the hidden agenda begins to rise to the surface.

"Prison cities, plus I have ideas to keep attacks like these from ever happening again. I will reorganize every federal agency too. The FBI won't be based in Washington D.C. but, say Richmond, Virginia rather, or maybe if you can, take the helm in Lynchburg or wherever you want to head up the agency. Yes, I know your dream to be an FBI special agent. I want to give you that dream on one condition. No, I want to make you the Director of the FBI." President Klifton proposes with his fingers interlocked in front of his mouth after he leans forward.

"Sir..." Josh says.

"I know that you know who I am, and it won't help you bring me down. You're now a national hero. I am the man who stepped in when the chips were down to bring hope back to a fearful country. You can try to take me down, but you're going to die if you do. If you think I'm kidding, well, try me." The vindictive smirk says it all with his head dipped, allowing his eyes to be angled, raising Josh's heart rate.

"If anything happens to my friends or family, I'll kill you with my bare hands, you son of a bitch!" Josh threatens with his hateful gaze.

The stare down picks up the intensity, the more their glares evolve. Josh's eyes grow colder with deep breaths to keep him calm. President Klifton gazes into the abyss on Josh's golden eyes to see hellfire itself.

Out of nowhere, there's a knock at the door. It disrupts the tension amounting to an eventual brawl between the devil and the demon.

"Excuse me, sirs, but Agent Bradshaw has a visitor. He states he's his younger brother, and someone else claims to be his son." The female agent announces from the door.

In a single motion, President Klifton dismisses Josh from their ever-looming showdown.

Josh turns back at the last moment flipping the bird, then a gun gesture right after.

All the Angel King mouths are "bring it," welcoming the challenge.

A few rooms down, Josh is beyond delighted to see Owen, James, and Connor waiting on him. There they sit and chat for a bit.

"Dad, it was so cool seeing you on TV! How awesome does it feel to be a big-time hero finally?" Connor asks with excitement in his voice.

"I am no hero, son; I'm just blessed to be still standing."

James chimes in next, seeing the pain circling in his best friend's eyes.

"Did you ever find Alex?"

Before Josh can reply, Owen takes control to answer.

"Yes, he's been found and, sad to say, murdered. I am terribly sorry, my friend; there is nothing that could have been done to rescue him."