Chapter 9 - The Final Piece

When he goes for his keys, Josh's surprised. He notices that they're missing along with his car and a note.

"Yo, man, took your car out for a couple of upgrades. Have it back sooner than later. James" Josh reads aloud, but he notices that there's a set of keys hanging there.

"It is still technically mine..." He rationalizes, taking Connor's keys for the Probe.

With an evil smile and a couple of memories that instantly come to mind, Josh goes out the door and quickly gets into his old car.

"Been a long minute, ole girl!" He speaks to the car when he straps himself into the seat.

"Ready to hit some old stomping grounds?" He asks the car as it roars to life.

He presses the accelerator a couple of times to hear the turbo spool up with the pressure release through the blow-off valve. He pushes the clutch down to the floor and shifts back and over to reverse. Josh backs out of the driveway to head towards Institute for the police academy.

Along the way, he takes a single detour in Teays Valley. It's about five miles out of the way but driving his old car and already up that way; it's something Josh can't avoid.

He pulls up in front of a house he hasn't seen since he was eighteen years old. He slowly drives by, staring as plenty of memories begin to flood his mind all over again.

"Damn, it still looks the same." He says to himself with a bit of regret rising to the surface.

After the memories exit his mind Josh returns to the interstate on the way to the academy. When he arrives, he's greeted by a recruit working the security gate.

"Can I help you, sir?"

"Yes, I'm here to see Justin Adamson; I'm Special Agent Joshua Bradshaw, DEA," Josh replies, flashing his badge to the recruit.

The young man jots down his name and badge number then lifts the gate.

"Park in the green zone and ring the buzzer." He informs Josh pointing which way is the green zone.

Josh pulls forward with a nod giving a thumbs up, and into the green zone where he kills the engine. He pulls himself from the car to walk towards the set of double doors in a single collective breath.

Three officers fly out the door with their guns drawn before he can hit the buzzer.

"On the ground!" One of them orders.

"Is there a problem, officers? I'm only here to see an instructor. I'm here to visit with Justin Adamson; I'm DEA Special Agent Bradshaw." Josh says, trying to go for his badge.

The officers, who are still cadets about to graduate, witness Josh is going for his back pocket. They see his action as a sign of aggression and move in, attempting to take Josh down to the ground.

After one quickly holsters his gun without locking the strap in place, he tries to subdue Josh. Out of instinct, Josh counters with a wrist lock takedown. His buddies try to intervene to assist in apprehending him, but before they can swap their guns for their tasers, Josh puts one of them on their ass with a stiff sidekick.

The other cadet hooks Josh's arm but instantly finds himself in a counter move of a Judo style hip toss. Before the first cadet that stepped up to Josh can react to take him down, he is reinserted back into a wristlock.

"I told you boys I'm here to see Justin Adamson. I was going for my badge. Don't try it again, boys. You're too inexperienced for someone like me!" Josh warns them, keeping his eyes on the cadets laid out on the ground.