Chapter 5 - Windy City Reunion

All Josh can see is the replay of Paul's hand on Emily's face. That fuels the fire in the pit of his stomach more than ever. He ignores the speed limits while he makes his way out of Dayton. The only thing he cares about is making it to Chicago to get James and locate Alex's whereabouts.

He gets some distance from the incident at Gwen's, making good time until the rain pours just over the Indiana state line. Josh has no choice but to slow down and be aware of anything that could happen, such as a tornado.

Indianapolis is a nightmare, and it doesn't get any better the further north he drives. Visibility is nearly gone, and his car nearly hydroplanes out of control. The anger that once controlled his actions has been replaced with concentration. Once he regains control of the car, Josh pulls over until the storm passes.

The hours from Indianapolis to Chicago's outskirts give Josh time to ponder deeply, and his overthinking ability sets in fear of not getting this team to function as a unit. The personal rivalry between Josh and Alex created such a rift that the team split in half.

Justin has always been the reliable one who sided with Josh. James, on the other hand, could never see the full picture and took Alex's side.

The issue that split the team in two is over Emily. Although she knows Josh and Erin adopted her, she wasn't told that Alexander and his college girlfriend are her parents, and neither wanted her. Alex knew it would ruin his plans to fly attack helicopters for the military. Caddie, though never wanted kids. All she cared about was inheriting her father's expanding hotel empire from New York/New Jersey to Florida.

It's midafternoon when he arrives at the parking garage entrance of INSIDE (International Network Securities Integration Development Enterprises). Upon finding a spot for guest parking, Josh kills the engine and sits there for several minutes. His heart begins to pound, feeling the anxiety soar to new heights. It hasn't been since he left for basic training since the last time he even talked to James.

One final deep breath, and Josh yanks himself from his car. His body is worn and tired from traveling. His hands and knee ache from the pounding he delivered to Paul. He travels to the elevator to the main lobby, where he sees James' name as the head engineer on the fifth floor.

"Can I help you, sir?" A receptionist asks, seeing him gawk at the employee directory case.

Josh makes his way over to the desk.

"Yeah, I'm here to see my little brother, James Cline," Josh says, tapping his fingers on the desktop.

She picks up her phone to call James' office. Josh stands there when his palms begin to sweat.

"Hi yes, Mr. Cline, sir, your next appointment is here." She listens inventively to him, with instructions to where to meet his guest.

"Copy that, Mr. Cline. I'll send 'em right up, goodbye sir."

She places the receiver back on its base and hands Josh a guest pass for the building.

"Go up to his floor; when you get off, take that right for about thirty feet. You'll see an all-glass meeting room step in there, and he will meet with you shortly."

All Josh does is nod and takes the pass.

"Thank you," he attaches the pass to his shirt and walks over to the elevator. His nerves unravel more the closer he gets to the destination.

Upon stepping out of the elevator, he walks down and into the meeting room. Josh takes a seat where he hopes James won't see his face. He's unable to get comfortable in the leather chair when the door opens, and James walks into the room.