Chapter 15 - Windy City Pandemonium

Events throughout Chicago continue to crumble with each passing hour. Scarlett is busy pulling several cases to help to alleviate the patient's misery. She leaves Amber at home as riots threaten the entire Chicago metro area.

On this night at the hospital, Scarlett is beyond exhausted. More people arrive from the outbreaks of riots with the police. At the same time, overdose cases pour in by the dozens to line the hallways. People suffer and are left strapped to their gurneys.

Checking her rounds on the floor, she's hit with sorrow when a new patient arrives. A homeless fourteen-year-old Puerto Rican girl was arrested for breaking and entering. Out in the triage area, Scarlett hopes to ease the frightened girl's worries and discomfort.

"Hi there, I'm Scarlett, your RN. Is there anything I can do to make this easy for you, honey?" Scarlett keeps her eyes on the paperwork waiting for a response.

The young girl's voice is shaky and rattled. "I'm so cold and hungry..."

It begins to break Scarlett's heart instantly to where she just wants to hold her to keep her safe.

"She gets nothing but a ride to the big house once she's medically cleared." A police officer announces against the wall, shaking the bed.

"Um, excuse me, officer, if she is hungry, she is at least entitled to a meal. Don't tell me how to do my job if a patient asks for something easy like a meal. I won't tell you how to arrest people." Scarlett says to him, about to get in his face.

The officer pushes away from the wall coming closer to Scarlett.

"You got a little attitude problem, missy. How about I knock it out of you and put you in your place, little lady. Better yet, I'll put your sweet little ass in the kitchen. Right where you belong, honey." He threatens, placing his hands near her waist.

"Touch me and die; my brother-in-law is a federal agent. He'll have your head." She threatens before she sends her knee up, crushing his groin in a single strike.

Able to hear the commotion, officers around the triage area hurry over to where they hear their fellow officer groan on the floor.

"Get him out of here. He was going to rape me!" Scarlett yells, backing away from the officer.

"Sorry, ma'am, I'm sure he was playing hardball with no intentions to hurt you." A seasoned African American officer in charge steps between them to smooth over the situation.

"Trever man, you know we're shorthanded, and you gotta be threatening a nurse. Are you just plain stupid or crazy?" Get back to the station. I'll call it in and have you reassigned, now get!" He's scolded as officers chaperon him out of the hospital.

"Sorry ma'am, I'll stay here with you for now. Is there anything you need at all?" A fresh officer offers who just graduated from the academy.

Scarlett walks over to the bed, where the young teenager begins to moan plus toss and turn in her bed.

"Yes, I need someone to watch her while I get a sedative to calm her down. She's beginning the early stages of what I think is withdrawal. I only need someone to stay with her, please." Scarlett darts from the bedside to get what she needs.

By the time she arrives back and opens the triage certain she's stunned by what she sees.

"What happened?" She says in a state of shock, seeing the first few trickles of blood clots in the girl's eyes.

"I don't know. She stopped to flip-flop and started pulling, trying to scratch to her face with her hands." He explains, pretending to be startled at the sight of the teenager beginning to cry in agony.