"People"

“I know that this is a little bit nerve wrecking but I will hold your hand through all of it” Angie said. We had been sitting in our car because I felt like I wasn’t ready to mingle with Amanda and Amelia so Angie stood stopped the car two houses away from their house just to give me the pep talk that I needed.

Angie hasn’t stopped talking about Amanda and Amelia since we met them so it didn’t take much time for them to schedule the dinner regardless of my concerns about my social skills. Angie had told me that she identifies with them so it would make her happy if we became acquainted with them so I agreed but as soon as we woke up, I realised that I wasn’t as ready as I thought I was but throughout the day, Angie hadn’t stopped trying to make me feel better. Angie had prepared everything for me while I was sulking like child, which wasn’t really my intention but Angie managed to get me to wear my blue mom jeans, a pair of white sneakers and a white shirt to match the shoes while she wore beige skinny pants and a white golf t shirt. A part of me liked her casual style but it would always remind me of the fact that we weren’t from the same decade so our sense of style always differ but understands mine, just like I understand hers.

“Would you feel better if I fucked you right now? Would you loosen up then?” she joked.

“Nope, let’s go before we actually do it” I chuckled. Angie always knows how to make me feel better and by that simple joke, she made me feel a little bit better.

“Alright” she said while starting the car. She slowly drove towards the yellow house that ought the address we were to go too. The neighbourhood had a sense of conservativeness so their yellow house was the indicator of the fact that they were the odd family of the neighbourhood and the pride flag was the cherry on top. In my case, I could never paint my house yellow as it is already too loud and bright but seeing Amanda, I could already tell that this was probably her idea. Angie slowly drove into their drive way while holding my hand.

“Well there is no turning back now” Angie said and I chuckled while getting out of the car. I walked to the driver’s side and opened the door for Angie. “Thank you cherub” she said.  Hand in hand we walked towards the red door and I chuckled as soon as I realised the significance of a red door in movies, the door to hell. I wonder why red had to be associated with such because it is a happy colour. As soon as we reached the door, Angie rang the bell and a cheerful Amanda opened the door with a smile that chased her ears.

“Hello!” she said happily

“Hi” we said in unison

“Wow, welcome in… are you well?” she smiled while we walked past the red door.

“We are and thank you again for the inviting us in your lovely home” Angie said while I scanned the house. The house was a homey as any house with children can be, the décor was all over the place but it wasn’t as bad as I imagined it and the cute rainbow coloured wall had a few art works that seem like they were drawn by toddlers.

“It is our pleasure” Amanda said “Babe, Matt and Elena! They are here” she said “Oh make yourself at home please” she immediately walked out of the sitting room, leaving me and Angie.

“They have a very colourful house” I commented.

“They do but don’t worry, we are not moving in” Angie joked.

“I know, I just think it is interesting but I understand because children need stimulation” I said

“They do” she chuckled.

A young boy, who seemed to be between the age of four and six, ran in to the living room and I guessed that his was the one named Matt. He had the dark brown hair and a pair of dimples that made him look slightly like a baby girl “Hello” he said softly, he seemed like a shy baby boy or perhaps he was well mannered compared to other children, I’ve seen.