"Change"

Knowing that my mother was coming back was both a blessing and a curse because I had spent the entire week worrying about why she was coming back after a year but also excited about finally seeing her properly without fighting. I had spent the week prepping the house for her and due to the cancellation of meetings by Angie I had enough time although I was worried about the reason behind the sudden cancellation. Since the apology dinner I haven’t seen Angie or head about from her excluding the call from Cindy about the sudden cancellation and when I asked her why she said that Angie wasn’t feeling well and when I asked why she said it’s nothing huge and she needs a little bit of space so I spent the week cleaning with Anna.

“I think it is safe to say that we are done” Anna said, as supportive as she was she tried to stay away from manual labour but she understood that I had a massive amount of anxiety and I genuinely needed help and as my only friend she stepped in.

“Yes we are, see this is why smaller houses are better” I chuckled.

“You are right… so what time is she gonna be here?”

“Anna!”

“No no I don’t mean it like that, I just want to know for your sake” she snickered.

“Yeah right, she said Saturday but didn’t tell me the exact time so anytime is tea time”

“And that my friend is correct I really do need some tea after all this cooking and cleaning” she said while wiping imaginary sweat from her forehead.

“I’ll get your wine but I won’t be drinking with you”

“Is it because drinking has caused you great shame?” she laughed.

“Maybe”

“Oh poor Janie” she mocked.

“I am not drinking because whatever it is Mother has to say, I need to be fully awake”

“Or you don’t want to butt dial your mentor again”

“Ha ha very funny” I said as I walked to the bar. I never really understood why my parents wanted a big house when it was just the three of us but they loved it more than anything, especially Dad. He has spent a year designing it and ensuring that it had everything we all loved. My favourite part of the house was the library and my bathroom, Mother wanted a bar and a studio and Dad wanted a TV room, an office and a basketball court which he loved dearly. I couldn’t change anything in the house even the guest house which was built especially for my grandparents. I barely used the bar unless if Anna wanted something or to gift Candice whenever I felt like it and somehow it doesn’t run out.

“Babe, something came up” I heard Anna say.

“What is it?”

“Remember Tina? Well she apparently needs me” I heard her say.

“Really” I said as I approached the sitting room.

“Yes”

“Anna…”

“Hey, if I’m not gonna get some booty from your Mom then at least I should get it somewhere”

“See sometimes I think you are joking and then sometimes I think you might actually have a crush on my Mother”

“Well, well, well isn’t that a mystery”

“Anna!”

“The way you yell my name someone might assume I am banging you”

“Everyone knows I don’t bang” we both laughed for some time and then Anna remembered her appointment with a Tina. I always wondered how she could manage all these people at once and where she gets all that energy from, I couldn’t even entertain one person in my DMs and Anna, and she didn’t mind having a million contacts in her phone. “Friend I have to go but call me if your mother tries something funny but I’d advise you to not disturb my booty call” she warned.