Twenty-Seven

Claire's idea of doing something outrageous was going to the club. I was not, in any way shape or form, in agreement with that idea. Despite the pathetic state that I was currently in, going to a club was definitely not on my priority list. In fact, it wasn't on any list because it simply didn't exist for me. I genuinely had better things to do tonight.

But, having just said that, I was now staring at a neon sign that simply read "the club". I know, so original right? Honestly, it was slightly shady looking but I had trusted Claire's judgment when she had said "I know just the place!" and here we were; in a place called "the club".

"You did not just drag me into a..frikkin club! I thought we were going to the library to read." I hissed, grabbing her arm tightly. Boy, she was strong for such a petite girl. I was almost dangling off her arm like a damn purse accessory.

Alright, my idea of doing something reckless was going to a library, sitting there for hours until my eyes were red from reading. Sue me! I had no one waiting for me back at the apartment since Thea had extended her Disneyland vacation with Maira. And work was absolutely awkward with Brandon having just bailed on me for our first date. I literally had no one to talk to and nothing exciting to do other than to just sit in a library and read books for hours on end.

But I wasn't always like this. Growing up I enjoyed socialising and I had a decent amount of friends too. I did have a few friends I was really close to, and was still in contact with them. The problem, though? Well, they lived about a million miles away from me and I wasn't that good with this thing kids call technology. Not being good as in..being that one friend who would reply to a month old joke in a group conversation. Yep, that was me.

"I honestly thought that was a term you brits used to describe the club or something!" Claire giggled. "Honestly Charlie! How could I have known that you were actually referring to a freaking library?! Girl...you really need a little excitement in your boring life."

Okay, I didn't know whether to be offended by that or nod in agreement. I was a boring individual, I'll admit that. "Claire I really don't feel comfortable going in there!" I whined.

"Shush! It'll be fine, just relax?" Claire's words did nothing to comfort me. With hulk like strength, she dragged me towards the club's entrance and stopped.

"Identification please." The guard stood outside said sternly.

"I don't have anything on me, oh noo..okay I guess we'll just go back now." I said loudly, dramatically even. I wasn't winning any awards, but I was hopeful it'll be enough to get by.

I thought wrong. Turning towards Claire, I watched her rummage through her purse and take out the driver's license card as well as mine and wave it at the security guard. I groaned internally, forgetting she was carrying my wallet with her this entire time. Ugh. Better luck next time..

Again, with strength that could give complex to the hulk himself, she dragged me inside and stopped in front of the bar. "What drink you having?" she shouted over the booming music. I stared at her as if I was unable to understand what she was saying.

"Jesus, don't tell me you don't drink!" She chuckled.

Look, not to be a prude or anything, but, I didn't like drinking alcohol. And it had absolutely nothing to do with my inability to handle it. Absolutely not.

"I'll have water, thank you." I shouted back instead, causing another round of laughter from her. This was just embarrassing now.

"Alright, at least one of us has to stay sober!" I nodded in agreement. Yep, that's exactly why. The music was way too loud for me, I hated it here. But watching Claire drink shots after shots, I felt a sense of responsibility for her. Still hated it though.