Thirty-Six

"What's that supposed to mean?" I questioned. Was there more to the story? Had that tiny portion of my brain been right about him? I found myself sat on the edge of the bed dangerously close to landing on the floor. There I went again—being hopeful. Steve walked towards me, closing the door behind him as he sat down on the chair next to the dresser table. Somehow he managed to make the chair look miniature too. I had to remind myself that this was no average man; it was the captain america. For a moment I had forgotten what I was up against, he could crush me with his bare hands and I wouldn't know what hit me. In fact, any one of them out there could end me if they wanted to. "Did Tony tell you Pietro killed your parents?" He asked. I didn't want to talk about this, but seeing his expression gave no room to argue otherwise. I twisted my fingers anxiously, a habit I'd picked up a few years ago.

"It was..implied." I shrugged. He sighed. Steve's voice was gentle, as if he was talking to a child, when he spoke again. "I know this sounds ridiculous but you're gonna have to believe me for what I'm about to tell you." I waited anxiously. "It wasn't his fault."

"Are you trying to defend him?" I accused, anger bubbling inside of me. I should have taken my own advice and piped down with the audacity, I was starting to act like a child. His piercing glare made me hesitant nonetheless but I knew he wouldn't hurt me. Or could he..I didn't know him well enough.

"I'm not defending him. I'm simply telling you the truth you're refusing to accept."

"I'm not refusing anything." I sighed in defeat. "I just want to know why my parents were sent there on a rescue mission, why they had to die. Do you have an answer for that?"

"It's a lot more complicated than that." His response agitated me more, and even though I knew it was a bad idea, I couldn't help myself from being harsh. Though I doubt it came across as being harsh, I couldn't even try to be mean even if I wanted to. "You're not making any sense.."

Steve stared at me with an expression I couldn't quite understand. "I didn't wanna give this to you, but I don't think I have much choice. Tony really messed up." He reached into the side of his leather jacket, pulling out an A4 file that looked familiar. Steve handed me the file that had S.H.I.E.L.D's logo in the centre with both of my parents' name written underneath in red ink. James Bradbury. Helen Bradbury. Deceased. "This is the last file in the records, it states what went down word for word."

I opened the file with my shaky hands, skimming over the pages. They were agents who specialised in taking care of victims, rescuing the survivors, behind the scenes kind of thing. Their last mission was in Sokovia. "I don't understand.." I murmured, unable to look away as I continued reading.

Agents were located on the east side of the wing evacuating the injured when commotion forced them to move south into HYDRA's abandoned research lab. Subject A was identified as an enhanced individual, judging by the restraints, considered highly volatile too. Agents were advised to act with caution despite his clear unconsciousness. Agent Helen and James believed he was an innocent civilian being experimented on by HYDRA and made the decision to save him before the building collapsed. Unfortunately, it was too late for Agents Helen and James to escape and they had become victims to the falling infrastructure. Subject A was nowhere to be found later when backup arrived. We believe Subject A was left as collateral and later taken away by HYDRA when no longer perceived with threat. Subject A was later identified as Pietro Maximoff, an orphan, still working for HYDRA alongside Wanda Maximoff.

My stomach was ready to hurl, empty out its horrid content and I barely forced it down, swallowing hard. My heart lurched into my throat as I read the final sentence. "They were on a rescue mission and they found Pietro there by accident. HYDRA left him to die because his life was worthless to them. They sensed danger and left him there on his own with enough drugs in his system to keep him unconscious for days."