Seventeen

"Can you stop staring at me? It's starting to creep me out now."

Thea hadn't said a word to me since we got up, choosing to blatantly stare instead. Looking at her was like looking at my own reflection, similar features but she had a youthful look and eyes a shade darker than mine. I was expecting her to jump on me and demand to know everything about last night, but she just stared at me like she was looking for something to come out of me. Her stare was unnerving, something I clearly lacked.

I hit the kitchen table with my fist in annoyance. "Thea, will you say something? Stop acting so weird!" I shouted, glancing at Maira who was sitting in her high chair munching on the biscuits, watching me with her big blue eyes. I didn't like shouting in front of Maira. She started teething but didn't seem to complain or whine as much like I'd expected her to. In fact, she hardly ever cried, on the occasions that she did—it was more like small hiccups. I was still cautious of how I acted in front of her. I knew she was different, it made her that much more special and precious to me.

"Why is there a..glow on your stupid face?" Thea's obnoxious tone echoed in the apartment and I glared at her, heat rushing to my face. "Oh my god. You are glowing! What happened last night?" She squealed, clapping her hands. Maira mirrored the clapping and smashed the soggy biscuits, which I would have been cooing over if I wasn't so red in the face. I swallowed a spoonful of porridge, not bothering to chew it first. "I don't know what you're talking about.." I mumbled, stuffing my face with more porridge. Thea giggled, getting out of her seat.

"Ohh..you know exactly what I'm talking about. Come on, out with it sister!" She stood next to me tugging my porridge away from me. "Oi! Give it back!" I hissed, reaching for the bowl as she moved back.

"Either you tell me or I'll just ask Pietro. You choose." She threatened, grinning. I paused, giving her my best glare. "You will do no such thing, Thea Anne Bradbury." I grunt, grabbing my porridge bowl and stuffing my face with it. That's right, you know it's serious when embarrassing middle names get used in conversations.

"Woah..what is that on your neck?" She gasped, pointing her finger at my neck. I froze. Shit. How could I forget? "I got bit by a..mosquito." I lied, burying my face into the bowl. Mosquitoes in December, really Charlie? That has to be the dumbest thing anybody's ever said.

"Oh, you were bitten by something." Thea teased, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. I wanted this conversation to be over. "Thea please shut up..I don't want to talk about it!" I groaned, jumping out of my chair.

I barely slept, tossing and turning for the most part, my mind replaying every moment spent with Pietro and the way his touch ignited me. Like a moth drawn to flame, and I was burning. It was a date worth remembering and I wished..there would be more just like it in the future. I shook my head, trying not to get so lost in my thoughts. When I saw that monstrosity of a hickey on my neck in the bathroom mirror, I nearly screamed. I tried to cover it up but concealer could only do so much.

"Oh-kay then. I'll find out about it eventually!" Thea said in a sing-song. I groaned, moving over to put my coat on near the door and the scarf to cover the hickey. I reminded myself to ask Pietro about these marks he left on my skin for Thea to mock when I saw him next time— I had a feeling it was going to be today like he had promised. A shiver ran down the length of my spine thinking back to his soft lips against my skin and his body pressed against mine. Stop. Stop! Get it together Charlie.

"Alright, then. I'm off to work." I sighed, turning around. "Stay safe, little one. That sister of yours is crazy." I whispered to Maira and she giggled. I placed kisses on her little face, she looked so adorable and I had to force myself to stop. "I love you so much, my little angel." Placing one final peck I turned around and headed out, ignoring Thea's remarks.