Two

"Charlie. Charlotte, hey, hey, hey! Come on sis..stay with me now. Oh my god..don't you dare pass out on me again missy! Christ sake, Charlie!" Thea's voice sounded almost agitated, I could only assume it was her attempt at trying to keep her nerves under control. I couldn't say the same about myself, every part of my body hurt, edging me closer to the bliss darkness could bring me—Thea's shrill voice being the only thing keeping me from going there. I looked at my surroundings, people desperately trying to keep calm but failing miserably, just like myself. We were still under attack, I could feel the tension still hanging in the air. Thea was holding Maira in her arms whilst trying to keep me conscious, the worry evident in her face. "I'm awake..I'm awake.." I swallowed, throat dry.

The only thing keeping us alive were The Avengers. A team of superheroes the earth had recently been introduced to. The Avengers, earth's mightiest heroes— it was surreal. More surreal and still weird to comprehend the fact that we had a Demi-god from another planet among us mortals, a super soldier catapulted from the past, a green rage monster and a genius billionaire who invented flying suits—paired with a couple of deadly assassins, that was essentially The Avengers. I couldn't deny the sudden rush of excitement I felt at the thought of seeing them in person, but it died just as fast when pain seeped through me like boiling water on skin. You forgot the fast one, he saved your ass..

Oh yes, let us not forget the dude who could run really fast, broadly speaking. But I don't recall him being part of the Avengers, did that mean there were more of them? The thought of it was starting to make me go crazy, I never knew such people could even exist. It was almost felt unreal, like it was all a dream or a fictional world I'd landed myself in. But apparently not. This was all real, my pain was definitely real. I remember around 3 years ago when New York had been attacked, the news shocking the world; it was baffling hearing about the robot armies from outer space being summoned to fight. And now, it was Boston's turn to be under attack, of all places—it had to be Boston. It was a scary notion to think that there were other things out there in space, things that could potentially eliminate us all if they wanted to. I shuddered then winced. 

The earth beneath us rumbled suddenly and I almost rolled over in my current position, good thing I couldn't. The city had been uprooted, quite literally, and was flying up to nowhere in particular with civilians still trying to escape. I was on the edge of whatever it was we were on and I could see the devastation unleashed. The important thing to remember here was that we could still survive this, even if it meant flying out of here—the altitude finally starting to startle me. It's okay..you got this! Yeah, it was going to be like sitting—or on the floor of a roller coaster, hopefully. God this was going to be awful and I knew it. I hated roller coasters with such passion, I could not stand the feeling of free falling and how people found that thrilling was beyond me. Nervousness rolled off me and my stomach began to get queasy. As if my thoughts couldn't be any louder, Maira started to squirm in Thea's arm instantly, eyes and hands darting towards me. Thea sighed, rolling her eyes. "I've been trying to keep her away from you but it's not working."

"It's fine, let her come" I managed to say, cracking half a smile. 

"Okay fine, off you go to your fake momma." Thea murmured, setting Maira beside me who then started to climb on top of me, or at least tried to. Ow, ow, ow. She just wanted to get closer to me, I knew that, and I wanted to hold her in my arms more than anything else but I wasn't exactly in the position to do that. My body hurt so bad, I don't think I could even stand up anymore.
"Hey baby, are you okay?" I cooed making her giggle in that adorable baby way. I hissed as she dug her pointy little elbow into my abdomen, the pain unbearable. That hurt so bad, I thought I was on fire, but I swallowed the pain letting her near me. She neared my face and reached her little hands on my cheek, easing my pain with her innocent gestures and those beautiful eyes full of life. I looked over to see Thea already making her way towards the seats that definitely reminded me of a rollercoaster now, and she moved quite quickly I noticed the glint in her eyes. What was this girl doing, leaving me here on the floor? "Oh, okay. Now. Now you're going to leave?" I narrowed my gaze at her and she stuck her tongue out childishly, at least one of us was finding joy in this situation. Something rumbled vigorously deep beneath us, my hands grabbing Maira instinctively, pain shooting through me as I did. "What the hell was tha—"