Eleven

Alarms went off in my mind but it was too late—he was already here. 

Pietro was here—Pietro Maximoff was in my house, holding my sister in his arms with a smile so bright—I thought I was seeing things. I was glued to the floor, my mouth slightly ajar at the sight in front of me. Maira giggled and cooed when he threw her midair and caught her in his arms, cradling her close to his chest. He stopped and turned to look at me, I inhaled sharply, clutching the cake box tightly. Christ..he's so good with kids considering he is one himself. I didn't even register anyone else in the apartment, my eyes refusing to leave the sight in front of me. My body felt warm, any trace of the cold long gone. Pietro stared back at me, his shoulders shaking with mirth and I gulped. I glanced at his appearance, dark jeans paired with a white shirt and a leather jacket. He looked really good, too good. Shit, get it together Charlie!

"She's here, finally!" Thea's voice startled me as I turned to glare at her. She stood next to Pietro with her hands on her hips, a mischievous smile tugging her lips. "That better be the cake, we're starving!" She beamed, coming closer and closing the door behind me and yanking the box from me swiftly. I looked around, finally noticing everyone else in the room and realisation dawned on me. 

There was Lucy, whom I invited, staring at the specimen that was Captain Rogers like he was the 8th wonder of the world. I mean, he kinda is—wait, Cap's here?  I did a double take, thinking I was going crazy until our eyes met and he smiled at me. God, he's so beautiful. I looked away, feeling that stupid heat coming back to my cheeks. From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Claire sitting on the sofa and gawking at him just like Lucy was. I turned to see Sarah doing the exact same as her daughter, I almost laughed. I guess he was used to getting that kind of reaction from everyone, even if he tried not to show his embarrassment. I was embarrassed for him.

I looked around again and my eyes landed on a girl sitting far away, near the kitchen. She was absolutely gorgeous, auburn hair that almost looked a fiery red. Our eyes connected and I forgot to breathe. There was kindness in those hazel eyes, but something else lurked underneath—something broken, a sadness I could understand. Her sharp features resembled Pietro's and it dawned on me, in that very moment, that she was his sister. Wanda Maximoff. I tried to smile back at her, though I think it looked more like I was wincing. I looked away, feeling really shy all of a sudden. She was his sister. His freaking sister. I didn't know how to process that, not yet.

"Uh..hi?" I squeaked, not addressing anyone in particular. No one responded, apart from a few smiles of acknowledgment, making it more awkward for me. I heard Pietro chuckle, making my heart flutter at the sound. My attention turned to Thea who was standing near the dining table with the cake box, my head clearing up and anger starting to bubble up inside me. Sunday was my only day off. It was the only day I could relax just a little bit and get a few more hours of sleep in the morning without worrying about running late to work. It was the only day of the week where I could dedicate most of my time with Maira without having to rely on Lucy. Today was Sunday. 

"Thea, may I speak with you in private?" I whispered, just loud enough for her to hear. She looked at me in confusion but I didn't bother getting a response. Wrapping my hand around her upper arm, I hauled her ass over to the library and closed the door behind me. 

"Charles, did you see the way Lucy was gawking at Steve like she was about to eat him?" Thea laughed, throwing her head back, oblivious to the storm brewing inside me. "What is the matter with you?!" I hissed, feeling my face heat up. Thea stared at me, stifling her laughter but failing miserably. I narrowed my eyes at her, knowing my face was red as a tomato. I wriggled out of my coat and threw it haphazardly over my desk. "Why on earth would you invite all those people here?" I questioned, crossing my arms over my chest as I glared at her. She didn't respond and I continued. "I thought—no, I specifically told you that this was going to be a small, child friendly party. That out there is anything but that!" 

Thea stood there, staring at me with her signature look I'd become accustomed to. Or the face of boredom, as I called it. It was a mixture between that and just a mean death stare she somehow had mastered over the years—it was unnerving at times but I never let it bother me. "You need to loosen up, Charlie."

I stood there, bamboozled at the lack of explanation from her end and watched her simply waltz out the door like it was nothing. But before she walked out, she turned to look at me with a knowing look. "Besides, this might be the perfect opportunity for you to express your feelings for that handsome guy outside who can't seem to take his eyes off you."

I nearly choked on air. "Wh-I-you-what?" Incoherent nonsense. That's what it was. I wanted to say something like 'no, you're wrong! why are you being a weirdo?' but words failed me. Thea rolled her eyes. "I don't wanna hear it, Charles. Just come out whenever you're ready and try not to judge everyone around you." She said, slowly opening the door and closing it behind her. The music hummed in the background, letting the silence feel less daunting. 

I sighed, defeated. I think I came across as very rude and unwelcoming, but that wasn't my intention. It was just..overwhelming. I wasn't expecting so many people in my apartment, that's all. There once was a time where I would just spend my free time hiding in my bedroom, reading countless books and listening to music. But now, I didn't even have enough time to get a good night's sleep let alone look through this huge library of mine—shelves filled with books waiting to be read. A lot changed within a year, including myself, but I was trying not to give up. 

I was tired, but that didn't excuse my behaviour. I did come across as rude, even if I didn't mean for it. Thea was right, I should loosen up a little. I groaned, thinking back to what she said. Surely, he wasn't? My stomach churned in nervousness, realising I would have to face him eventually. A thought occurred to me, making me feel queasy. Was I starting to have feelings for Pietro? Was I really going to say no to the bet we made? I knew the answer to that and that's what scared me. I was afraid that deep down..I had harboured feelings for him without even realising. I was so screwed.