Twenty-Four

I knew it was going to be another disastrous day for me the moment I decided to make breakfast for myself at 5 in the morning. You see, I hadn't been sleeping that well lately and it was starting to affect my eating habits and also my mood.

It wasn't so much as stress eating or 'eating my emotions out', but more like a distraction to avoid doing the complete opposite. The opposite being that I unknowingly starved myself. It was...kind of weird and hard to explain.

So here I was, sitting on the kitchen table and stuffing my face with granola dipped in yogurt and thinking about the events that had occurred in the last few days.

First of all, I had received an invitation letter from S.H.I.E.L.D, more specifically, director Fury for a meeting. I was confused, the letter didn't exactly explain much as to what the meeting was for and I didn't like that. Being secretive and stuff was not something I enjoyed, it bothered me a lot because I always sensed that my parents were secretive too. Needless to say that I wasn't a fan. Anyway, the invitation date was a week away and it gave me plenty of time to think about it. What could Fury possibly want with me? Surely they weren't in need of my legal advice? Uh..I'm stumped.

Secondly, the devil himself, also known as Pietro Maximoff, was officially back. Not like he was ever gone in the first place. He looked different and was being different right down to his body language. He seemed tense, on alert and always freaking angry! I had never known him to be this angry or aggressive. Speaking of aggressive, I still have his fingerprints painted on my arms..
And finally, he was back in my life but not in a good way either. It almost felt like I was being watched like some type of a criminal on a leash. And I was frustrated to say the least. Will I bump into him when I meet the director? Oh no..

It was bad enough that he practically dumped me on New Year's Eve only to turn up months later, with a completely new look might I add, and refuse to acknowledge my existence. Now, suddenly, he thought it was a good idea to just drop by and lecture me on my parenting skills? Now, I admit that there hadn't been much communication between us that could possibly explain everything but whatever it was, I wasn't buying it.

The spoon in my hand clinked against the bowl, food now a distant memory as I found myself growing agitated. I took a deep breath, now was not the time to start crying. I promised myself to never cry but his words, his actions, his eyes made it ten times harder for me. I was losing a battle that shouldn't have begun. I should've closed him off the moment he asked me out. I should have done what I was best at, hiding my feelings and closing off from the world. A part of me still kept nagging at me to confront him but honestly speaking, I was just tired of it all.

Sighing, I looked up at the kitchen ceiling in defeat. How did I end up here? How does one heal a broken heart when the source of their pain keeps appearing in their lives? Couldn't he see how much pain he was causing me? His mere presence set my being on fire and no amount of cold showers could ever solve that.

"I'll never forgive you for this, Pietro." I whispered into the deafening silence.

Let the awful day commence.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Can you turn that off? I'm getting sick and tired of seeing their faces."

Every news channel had one headline on repeat. 'Is scarlet witch a friend or foe?' Honestly, it was starting to get tiresome.

It all started when a mission went south and ended in a dozen casualties. No one died, although the media sure made it sound that way. Now they were gathering world leaders to discuss the future of superheroes and whether they should be held accountable for their actions. The hypocrisy made me laugh bitterly. Politics.

I wasn't close to Wanda, in fact, I wasn't close to anyone in that tower. But I liked Wanda whenever we had met. Sure, they all went AWOL on me the minute he did, but I figured it was because of him that I was acquainted to them in the first place and so they didn't exactly have a reason to hang around. I didn't blame them though, at the end of the day, we were nobodies and I had made peace with that.

But I felt a pang of pain seeing her get dragged by the media. She didn't ask for this life, she didn't deserve this animosity being hurled at her, she was just a scared girl trying to find meaning in life. Her brother however needed a slap on his bea-

"Stop.." I whispered to myself. Here I go again, calling for trouble.

"Have you packed your things yet?" I asked Thea, an attempt at distracting myself.

Since Thea was on her 2 week break, she thought it was a good idea for us to go away somewhere for the weekend. However, she failed to consider every possible scenario when booking the tickets and now here we were, 3 prepaid tickets to Disneyland and only 2 people with freedom of getting there.

I was knee deep in paperwork from work and not to mention my shift at the cafe kept me away every weekend. I truly had a lot on my plate and as much as I wanted to ditch everything and get away, I simply couldn't. I had wasted my vacation time curled up in bed and crying. This is why boys are not worth crying over. They literally leave a ripple of an effect long after they're gone.. so you miss out on the good things in life because of them..don't do it hun

"Yes, mom." Thea whined childishly, stomping dramatically into her room. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Are you sure you'll be fine without me? I don't want to come back to a burning house." Thea teased, hinting at the time I set the microwave on fire because I didn't put anything inside and let it run for minutes whilst standing there waiting for the imaginary food to warm up. I groaned, I didn't need reminders. I knew I was stupid.

"You're lucky I don't have any holiday bonuses left otherwise I would have gone with you lot too." I grumbled. Maira was so excited about this trip, it was honestly heartwarming. "Have fun on my behalf, my little monkey." I kissed her little nose, hugging her gently.

"Oh, and yes, I will be fine!" I spoke loudly so Thea could hear me from her room. I guess now I could say that I was truly home alone.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Call or text me the second you land there safely." I reminded Thea for the umpteenth time.

"Oh my god Charlie calm down! We'll be fine, don't worry about us. It's you I should be worrying about." Thea snickered, earning a glare from me.

"What do you mean? I'm fine, I'll be fine!" I defended, crossing my arms across my chest.

I wasn't fine, not really. But, I couldn't really say that out loud either. Watching them leave for an entire week was starting to sink in. I was going to be alone for an entire week, could I really survive? I sure as hell hoped to. Who knows, the week might just fly by.

[ not edited ]

A/N kind of a filler
this story is kind of on the same timeline as far as movies went, like civil war except for the war that ensued, not as extreme basically. I don't have the heart to follow the timeline till endgame, knowing what I know now..it's hard.
Also I don't know how to stop multiple images on the top bit thingy 🤷🏽‍♀️