Four

Charlie

A week ago, if someone said to me that I was going to be inside the Avengers Tower, I'd have to assume the world was coming to an abrupt end. If someone also said to me that Captain of the America was going to be Maira's babysitter for the day, I'd have no choice but to think I was going absolutely mad—possibly reached heaven. Yet here I was, inside the said Avengers Tower and standing in front of me was the one and only Captain America who happened to be holding my baby sister in his arms. A gesture so gentle compared to...well, him. He was the epitome of everything beautiful, as if the gods had crafted him in their image. If I stared any longer, I might just die in awe. Beautiful indeed. But that's not the reason why my heart rate was accelerating suddenly. Standing next to the hero was the silver haired boy, and his eyes were on me. I was so lost at the scene transpiring in front me that I didn't even acknowledge his presence until I felt his hard stare. He was munching on something at an extremely fast pace, eyes still locked on me, taking complete advantage of his abnormal abilities. Oh, what I'd do to have that..that speed I mean. Unlike the beautiful god, he was..enigmatic. His hair was a striking silver, I'd never seen anything like it, shining almost white under certain lights. His eyes a piercing blue were haunting, I couldn't help the shiver that ran through me at the way his gaze was locked on me. But there was also a glint of mischievousness, a playfulness at the corner of his lips as if he could read my mind. Shit. I peeled my eyes away, biting my lip nervously. There was silence and it was pretty awkward—mortifying to be honest. I looked like a pile of garbage with divinity watching me, and I couldn't hide anywhere even if I wanted to. My cheeks burned, hearing a low chuckle from him. And it was so unnerving, I wanted to hide. 

"I believe we haven't formally met yet. My name is Steve Rogers. You might...also know me as Captain America." His voice velvety smooth, if I wasn't so embarrassed I would have swooned, have a little fan girl moment even. I glanced at him, he was in his recognisable uniform with the exception of his famous shield. From the corner of my eyes I saw him dressed in a casual attire consisting of dark sweatpants and a tight fitted shirt that left no room for imagination. He wasn't bulky, more lean and dare I say..hot. As quickly as that thought came, it left just as fast. But the silence that followed was long and physically painful. I know I was supposed to say something, but my mind had gone blank. I felt a slight nudge on my shoulder, I turned to face Thea—amused and seemingly enjoying this. I pleaded with my eyes, begging her to get me out of this awkward situation.

"I think she cannot speak, Captain." I heard his voice, an accent I still couldn't quite grasp. I was perfectly capable of speaking, just not in this moment. 

"Hang on, let me try something."

I was suddenly looking at him, nose grazing against his slightly. It all happened so fast and I freaked out. I shrieked, jumping back a little only to regret it as a sharp pain shot up the length of my spine with the sudden movement. Fire. It felt like fire, and it hurt. His hand rushed towards the small of my back, wrapping around me and stopping me from moving any further. My head lulled back, eyes closing at the intensity. 

"Maximoff!" I heard the Captain nearby.

"I'm sorry, she wasn't responding fast enough!" He muttered, dangerously close to my ear as my head landed back against the pillow gently, his arm still around me. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Is this guy mental? I groaned, starting to realise the painful fact that this boy was in fact, a typical boy—superpowers or not. Disregarding the fact that he was my saviour, the guy was completely insane, impatient and pretty childish.You're overreacting, but yes...he's pretty and cheeky.

"Bradbury." I wheezed, opening and closing my eyes in pain, black dots appearing and disappearing. "Charlie Bradbury." Saying my own name was proving to be difficult, the lack of oxygen entering my lungs making it harder. I couldn't breathe, the pain becoming unbearable. "Breathe.." His voice, gentle. And I did, the pain subsiding—as did his touch. "Everyone knows who you are, dummy." Thea teased after a few moments. Well, this was awkward. I hummed in response, letting everyone know that I was in fact an idiot hooked on strong medication and possibly going to need more in order to forget about this encounter altogether. Mortifying, truly. Small hands touched my face gently, curiously, and my tense aching muscles eased almost instantly knowing Maira was safe with me. I tried to move but couldn't so I lay there with my eyes closed as she continued exploring my face with curiosity. She smelled like a baby, it was comforting, I could just sleep. "Hey baby.." I murmured drowsily. Maira cooed against my ear, shaking my face a little trying to get my attention.