One

Boston was currently under attack by an army of robots—and they were everywhere, attacking anything that came into their line of view. I was currently trapped inside a cafe with a bunch of terrified civilians fuelled with nothing but caffeine. One minute I was ordering off the menu and then the next I was on the ground cowering from the onslaught of infrastructure falling on us, trapping us in simultaneously. I feared for the safety of the people here trapped in with me, no one was safe right now. Any sudden movement and the building would cave resulting in something much more catastrophic. My heart raced faster than ever and I panicked thinking back to Thea and Maira—my siblings. It all happened so fast, I was literally on my way back from work when Thea requested a latte. I shouldn't be here, yet here I was.

And as crazy as it sounded, my maternal instincts kicked in at the thought of something happening to them. I shuddered. I had to make sure they were unharmed, I just had to be sure that they were safe. I didn't work my butt off for months on end just to see this day, no. I steadied my feet as I pushed my way around the broken tables and chairs, aiming towards the door only to find it blocked by metal fragments from outside. I saw a few guys trying to kick it down but it seemed useless. Great, we were trapped on either side. The door was jammed with little to no room for escaping. My frantic eyes darted towards the exit sign no one seemed to have noticed just yet, that door seemed fairly unharmed which meant we could all get out of here. As much as I wanted to just sneak out unnoticed, I couldn't just leave, with the amount of people surrounding the blocked door I reckoned there would be a chaos with everyone trying to get out all at once if they saw me leave. Think, Charlie, think..

"Everybody, calm down and listen to me very carefully!" I all but screamed, voice stronger than ever, grabbing everyone's attention almost instantly. The table beneath me shook dangerously but I held my head high.
"I just need everyone to calm down and listen to me. I will need everyone's cooperation if we're going to get out of here alive." I continued, earning a couple hopeful glances.
"There is an exit door to my right and it is our only way out of here. Now, I need you all to be a little patient and try not to kill each other!" I finished, marching towards the exit door before chaos ensued.

"Listen to the brit and get in line!" someone yelled, heat rushed to my face but I tried to focus. I pushed the door open, it was an alley that seemed harmless for now. Everyone began making their way towards the door as I stood there guiding them out. Once everyone was outside, I walked back inside to see if there was anyone else left, maybe in the bathroom stalls or the kitchen. There wasn't anyone, thankfully. I sighed in relief, only to have it replaced by a familiar feeling. Panic engulfed me entirely as the building started to shake. I ran outside to safety as fast as I could, feeling the building collapse behind me within seconds of me exiting it. "Holy crap.." I wheezed, barely escaping the rubble headed my way. I stood with my hands on my knees, taking quick breaths and sending prayers to the almighty. 

A few minutes of trying to compose myself and gather my brain, I tried locating the whereabouts of my house when the fog cleared up. I recognised the streets after going through multiple alleys and found it. To my surprise, the entire street was unharmed so far, which was a huge relief. I ran inside, panting—hang on, why was the door unlocked? My heart lurched violently. "Thea? Maira? Where are you?!" I screamed, running into the kitchen to find it empty. I turned to the dining room, they weren't there either. I heard footsteps and quickly made my way back towards the staircase. Oh thank god, it was Thea holding Maira in her arms. They both carried their own backpacks, if the situation wasn't so serious I would have found this stinking adorable.

"Oh thank god you're safe Charlie!" Thea cried out, meeting me halfway. Maira extended her tiny arms towards me indicating that I hold her.
"We need to leave right now, the city is under attack!" I told her, holding my arms out and picking up Maira. I turned around and began to run towards the front door in a desperate hurry to get out of here, Thea hot on my heels. "I think I know the city is under attack!" Thea spoke in a sassy tone, I could imagine the eye roll. "Did you get everything?"