Eight

I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me whole, the embarrassment coursing through me was enough to last a lifetime. Of course he knew I was here. I was a fool to think otherwise, the devil knows everything. "I know you can hear me as well." His voice was teasing, embarrassing me into oblivion. I could feel the heat rushing to my face, letting me know this was real, how was I ever going to return from this..

"I wasn't hiding." I defended myself, stepping out of the kitchen so we were facing each other—the counter being the only barrier between us. The first thing I noticed was his silver hair, it made him stand out like a beacon—in the nicest way possible. "There you are." He grinned, showing me his pearly whites. Goodness gracious me, he was so beautiful it actually hurt seeing him. He stood up to his full height, slowly moving towards me around the counter, my stomach dropped in weird anticipation. He wore a pair of dark denim jeans and a white t-shirt that accentuated every curve and muscle on his body. My eyes travelled up and down his body like they had a mind of their own. Damn he's so..no! Bad Charlie! Focus! Our eyes connected and I looked away trying not to get captivated by them, afraid that if I looked I'll never be able to recover. I saw him come closer until he was an arm's length away.

"I watched you running into the kitchen like your life depended on it." I heard him say, his voice laced with amusement. I bit my tongue because I knew it was true, I wouldn't let him know that though.

"Well, as you can see, I work here. And working here means I have to run back and forth to get the job done. So, no. I wasn't hiding or running away." I countered, folding my arms across my chest as I tried not to move back any further. He was getting dangerously close now and I had to keep my gaze glued to the ground even when he towered over me. A part of me wanted to look into his eyes, wishing to be hypnotised once again. But I knew just how much trouble that could cause me.

Luckily for me, he was indeed the final customer and the sign was already up. Sarah and Claire in the kitchen cleaning up and I was out here with him so close to me that I could smell his cologne.

"I hope you remember the promise you made, because I do."
My head snapped up instantly, hearing his voice so close to my ear that it sent an involuntary shiver down the length of my spine. He was leaning down to meet me at eye level and I nearly gasped at the proximity and the way he was looking at me. I stumbled back a little to maintain some distance, unable to look away. He needs to learn about personal space.

"Wh..what promise?" I squeaked, fidgeting with my fingers nervously. I knew this was a bad idea, I should have just stayed in hiding. Out here, in front of him, I could feel my body betraying me. "I think you know what I'm talking about." He murmured, standing to his full height once again and not breaking eye contact. I knew what he was talking about, it was the only thing I hadn't forgotten. But I wasn't going to let him know that, no matter how intense his stare was.

"Oh.." I feigned innocence—I had to at this point. He tilted his head, questioning me without saying anything. I cleared my throat, he knew that I knew.

"You know I didn't mean that, right?"
I let out a nervous laugh. Liar, liar, your pants are on fire!

Suddenly he looked at me with confusion and a hint of panic swirling in his eyes, like he wasn't expecting me to say that. "What do you mean?"

I was caught off guard, I thought he would have a comeback like he usually does. But he looked genuinely, worried? I couldn't quite understand. "Well, you..you weren't going to help me unless I agreed to whatever you wanted." I responded, shrugging. It was the truth, he had me in a compromising spot and I went along with him. I just didn't think he'd even remember. The corner of his mouth quirked upwards, brows furrowing like he was in deep thought. He kind of looked..cute. How could the devil look so cute?

"That's not fair, why did you say yes then? You could have just said no."

It took me longer than I expected to make sense of what he'd said, since I was too busy memorising his beautiful features. When I did, I couldn't believe it. Did he honestly just say it like I had a choice? I crossed my arms and looked at him, about to give him a piece of my mind.

"In case you've forgotten, Peter," I began, putting emphasis on his new name and he visibly winced. Good. "I found myself in a situation where I had no choice but to go along. That's why I said yes."

He was shaking his head before I even finished my sentence, strands of silver hair moving against his forehead. I wondered how they'd feel against my fingertips.

"My name is Pietro, American people sound silly when they say it so I've simplified it for them." He grumbled like it offended him deeply. Pietro sounded so much better, he didn't need to simplify it for people to pronounce it correctly. I got his name wrong the first time and it was embarrassing, but you learn from your mistakes.

"A promise is a promise. You have to keep it." His voice startled me. I really hated myself for being so rude and a little selfish in the moment but truthfully speaking, I could not feel my limbs. I had to lie down and sleep for the next 12 hours to recover. And as much as I wanted this, whatever it may be between us, to continue—I was physically on the verge of collapsing.

"Listen, I'm really really tired and I just want to go home." I nearly whined, feeling the ache in my heels from standing all day. Worry laced his features at my response as he stepped closer, like he was about to hold me in his arms but stopped.

"I'll drop you off." He offered instantly, pushing his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "No!" I squeaked like a mouse, much to my dislike. I wasn't about to let him know where I lived, who tells the devil their address? Not me. He smiled, the kind that meant he was trying to contain his laughter. "I guess you're not that tired after all." He smirked, eyes twinkling in that mischievousness I'd come to expect from him.

Ugh. He got me there. But, no. I was indeed tired, but not stupid to let him take me home. There's a difference.

"No, I am tired. You have no idea! But I couldn't possibly have you abandon your..your heroic duties just for me." I tried to reason, hoping he would buy the bag of lies I was selling him. When did I become such a swindler? In my defence, it wasn't entirely a bag of lies, maybe he did have to be somewhere else.

His gaze softened, like he was trying to hold back something. "I'm..no hero."

There was something in his voice that made my heart flutter. And he didn't buy my excuse either, like he knew I was just trying to get him off my back or something. "I won't trouble you again."

The disheartened look on his face wasn't what I was expecting. I'm not going to lie, the thought of never seeing him again kind of bothered me a little. I just couldn't figure out why.

"But I promise to see you again for the promise you made."

If I wasn't so tired, I would have said something back at his boldness. Instead, I just sighed, placing a hand on my forehead as I watched him walk out of the cafe. He turned around and winked at me before disappearing into the busy street. "He's mad." I mumbled, a ghost of a smile finally making its way onto my face.