Twenty-Six

The world was spinning, I was spinning. Whiplash was a nasty little thing, the only thing worse than a whiplash was the person who gave it to me in the first place. Calling him a person was too humane, he was the reincarnation of lucifer himself! Okay, he wasn't really the devil but he sure as hell acted like one. Especially when it came to me, honestly, it was like he was out to get me. Whyyy?

"I think I'm going to throw up.." I gasped, holding onto his toned arms for dear life. Oh, how I hated him.

Not..

"I sincerely hope that you don't, miss Bradbury." the familiar voice of director Fury had me on alert almost instantly. Gone was the world spinning and instead it was the familiar office from almost a year ago. The intimidating man stood behind his desk, just like the previous time, and seemed to be looking through a file.

"I really don't think it's a good idea barging in here like that either, Maximoff." He said, realisation dawned on me. I was still in his arms. As if I had been burned, I jumped nearly a foot away from him. Scowling his way, I concentrated on the man stood in front of me.

"I come here for a reason." Pietro's voice did nothing but annoy me further.

"I can see that, Maximoff."

I was right here! Jesus. I coughed loudly, standing there was doing nothing but create further awkwardness. "Maximoff." Director Fury's authoritative voice broke the awkward silence. Pietro, however, remained oblivious to his command and stood lazily in his spot. I stared at him with what I'd imagined was my nasty face, he wasn't fazed by it. I turned to look at Nick Fury, he wasn't impressed either.

"Maxim-"

"I heard you the first time."
And just like that, he was gone, leaving a gentle breeze in his wake.

"Now, let's have a chat."

I don't know why but it felt as if I was in the principle's office and about to get a detention, which was weird because I had never been in detention. Nevertheless, that's how I felt in that moment.

"Director Fury I-" my response remained incomplete as my eyes scanned the desk in front of me. There lay a green envelope with a logo embossed on the front. It read 'S.H.I.E.L.D'

Wait, what? It was an appointment letter. Oh my goodness, it was my letter. The one I had been sent. It was now sitting on Director Fury's desk.

"You must be wondering why you're here miss Bradbury."

I mean, I think that's a given sir!

"I'm more curious as to why you had your speedster bring me here when it's obvious that I don't want to be." I replied, feeling rather uncomfortable thinking about it.

"Believe me, I had no idea he was going to do that. I do apologise on his behalf, he hasn't been the same for a while."

I froze. Hadn't been the same? What did he mean by that? "Why am I here?" I asked instead. Since I was already here, I might as well get some answers. He paused for a moment before looking at me in a serious manner.

"I'm not going to drag this any longer, I know you've had a long day."

You bet.

"I'm simply giving you an offer, an opportunity if you will, to work for S.H.I.E.LD. I believe you have the qualities and potential to be an agent, however I would much rather you started off easy. So, I am offering you a chance to work alongside Agent Hill as a guidance specialist for everyone's favourite superheroes."

Say what now? Suddenly, I didn't know a word of the English language as I stood there awkwardly staring at him. Was I hearing things now? Surely he didn't just offer me, little old me, a job with the awesome Maria Hill? Nah, just wait for the punchline. Watch..