Six

Danger—the word going off like an alarm in my head. He was close, dangerously close. I stepped back due to his close proximity and my lower back bumped into the cool rail, my hands holding it tightly to stabilise myself before my legs gave out. His gaze captivated mine and I faintly heard the door close behind him. We were finally alone. Every fibre of my being wanted to get out of here before I combusted. Suddenly the lift was too small for the two of us.

My feet started to feel lighter as the lift began moving up, his eyes were still trained on mine, unwavering. He both intrigued and scared me, looking at me like I was the centre of his undivided attention—it made me both giddy and fearful. I looked away quickly, breaking out of the trance he'd put me into all of a sudden. I watched him from the corner of my eye as he moved back slightly and leaned against the wall beside me, crossing his arms across his chest lazily—intense eyes still on me. I folded my hands in front of me defensively and tapped my foot against the floor nervously as we waited. My face was flushed, heart threatening to explode and he knew it. 

"Long time, no?" His voice was teasing, almost challenging. I turned to face him, face as stern as possible, painfully aware of the heat rushing to my face. It wasn't working, not with that smirk he threw at me ever so casually, as if he knew I was trying not to let him affect me. And I was trying so hard not to let him. "I don't understand. I thought I saw you yesterday wandering around the corridors like a lost puppy." My voice stronger than ever but heart beating frantically. Girl, where did that confidence come from? I'll be damned if I knew. His gaze lingered as he straightened up and took a small step towards me, closing the gap. I would have stepped back but I was already glued to the rail, digging into my back the more pressure I put on it. I sidestepped to keep the distance but he kept moving closer, his cologne invading my senses.

"Yes, that is true. But we have not spoken to each other in a very, very long time." He simply stated, eyes ablaze with the colour of the ocean. I found myself struggling to breathe, mind starting to go blank. Shit, think fast!
"I'm not sure if I want to." I countered, moving away just as he came closer. "But you're speaking to me right now." He smirked. I bet he was finding this so amusing. "Not for long." I shrugged, taking another step and he followed. A glint of mischievousness in his eyes, I swear I could feel a gust of wind every few seconds. He stopped until I was cornered, eyes twinkling in mischief like he was up to something that would cease the fiery comebacks I was starting to throw at him.

And then it clicked. It was as if I knew already what he had done, eyes landing on the keypad—every button to every floor lit like a Christmas tree. You are joking me!

In that moment, I couldn't even remember which floor I was located on or which one I was headed to. Well, wasn't this just peachy! Making my way back to Thea and Maira was going to be like a walk in the maze. I groaned in frustration, glaring at the keypad.

"Looks like we will be here for a very long time then." His voice teased, dangerously close to my ear. I gasped at his sudden proximity, turning my gaze back to the infuriating man standing in front of me. If my face wasn't red before, it was now. I didn't know it was possible for me to be this big of a nervous wreck yet here I was, surprising myself once again. "Why are you doing this to me?" I grit, aware of his close proximity and the way my body was reacting. Why is he so close to me? I can't breathe!

"I don't understand, what am I doing?" His devious smile had my knees nearly buckling. I wondered if I could land a solid punch to his pretty face. And I was convinced, he was indeed the devil. There was no other explanation for how I felt when he was near me. 

The lift came to stop with a loud ding and the door opened, too slowly for my liking. I ducked under the quick boy and made a mad run for the door but he was faster. "Wrong floor." He positioned himself in front of the door like a tree, towering over me. "So you're doing all of this on purpose!" I accused, stepping back as he came forward with that stupid smile on his face. I hate how pretty he is!