Letter 2

Everyone goes into the receiving room where tea is served.

"Thank you for inviting us to spend some time not only with our grandson but with you all in New York. I can't wait till we go to church it's been a long time since I attended church in Manhattan", says Sofia.

"We will all go together before you leave", says Meghan.

At dinner that night Meghan was sat by George in the formal dining room. She felt someone squeeze her hand under the table. She turns to George and he smiles at her lovingly. After dinner the family moves to the living room.

"I would love to see where you work Meghan while we're here. Alice wants to get a feel of what an advertising office looks likes".

Meghan looks at George's little sister Alice who nods at her.

"I would love to do that for her Maria". Meghan studies Alice for a moment, "Are you thinking of going into advertising?"

"I'm not sure but I do know I want to do a business degree then work in one of the family's businesses. I'm in awe of how you started your business yourself and it grew to what it is today.  I admire you so much you didn't sit back and do nothing and live off your family's money".

Meghan was touched by her words, "Thank you Alice for that".

"You're welcome but it's the truth.  I know so many people see me and you in the same breath as those vapid people famous for having rich parents".

"When we go the the museum benefit next week I'll introduce you to some women who are top of their game in their chosen field".

Alice turns to George and beams, "I'm glad you're back with Meghan".

"I'm too".

After dinner Meghan and George thought it would be fun for the family to play Pictionary. They both wanted his family's visit to be as enjoyable as possible. George and his father were a team and everyone was laughing because George was attempting to draw something and no one could figure out what.

"Giorgio non avro mai la risposta(George I'm never going to get the answer), says Antonio.

George sighs loudly and sits down Sofia hugs Meghan, "We won, we won".

I'm in the mood for some pistachios ice cream who's with me?" Ask George.

"I'll take a slice of key lime pie", says Meghan.

Thank night as they were getting ready for bed George ask Meghan if she read the second letter yet that Emma left her.

"No I haven't I might as well read one now, wasn't today fun?"

"It really was, " agrees George.

They put on their pyjamas and hop into bed Meghan opens her bedside table and takes out the box she keeps the letters in. She takes  the next letter out and starts reading out loud.

Dear Meghan

Tomorrow we leave for college your mum is throwing us a party to celebrate later and I get to meet George. I wonder if he will speak only Italian talk about stereotyping people. I can't believe you and I have spent the last few months just having fun. Thank you for doing all those tourist things with me like taking me to Coney Island and MOMA. I can't believe I Emma Turner who months ago was living in a crack house is going to college.

I don't believe in god but if there is one he sent you to me. I want you to know I appreciate that you didn't initially introduce me as the girl you met who use to live in care to your friends. You have allowed me to form my own identity in my new world. It means I don't have to put up any walls I can just be myself. I don't have to feel aggressive towards people because I'm thinking they think I'm less than.

Thank you for that, sometimes I wonder if all of this is real I'm sat in my bedroom with an en-suite in a house with butlers and maids. I get chauffeur driven anywhere I want to go. You know that eight year old in care who assumed nothing would change is appreciative of you and your family.

Did you know when we went to the mall the other day I met people who wanted to be friends with me. Because they saw me wearing expensive name brands and carrying an expensive handbag.

Before I go to bed let me just say the party was amazing I've eaten so much food. I was underweight before so I don't mind putting on five or ten pounds. George is so nice and ruggedly handsome don't worry he's not my type. I prefer a guy who's nerdy in every way. Not that George isn't swoon worthy because the guy could be a catwalk model for goodness sake he's so good looking.

Don't worry Meghan I'm not interested in him and let me make it very clear even if I was. I would never cross that line and breakup your relationship. The amount of girls lusting after him at the party was very telling. It was sweet he only had eyes for you.

I enjoyed wearing my pink dress with my jeans I've always wanted to try that look and now I can afford to.

Anyway signing off now I need my beauty sleep.

Ems

I'm not gonna lie I got emotional writing this because .....