Prelude

"Eat up we can finish this discussion afterwards. Meghan your salmon and spinach is getting cold have you taken your tablets?"

"I still have one more to take."

She stands and walk over to her purse and take her iron tablet out. When she had taken it Meghan looks at her mother, "I think we should go back tonight."

"I agree," says Sarah. The others nod their heads in agreement.

After dinner everyone packs and head for the airport where Wanda's private plane was waiting.

"I'm sorry you didn't get to see a lot of France Alice I promise when you have a break from school I'll bring you back here."

"I get it we snooped and we need to be back in New York just in case Susan finds out we were here. I'm holding you to that promise Meghan."

When they arrive back in New York Meghan decides to stay with her parents. So George could still enjoy himself with the guys.

She Wanda and Alice walk into Wanda and Leonardo's upper east side home.

Her dad greets them, "Unpack and show me everything you've found."

So they did, "I can't believe she knew where Emma was placed. She could've sent an Anonymous letter telling me where Emma was so I could get her but she didn't."

"She wanted you to suffer darling don't you worry we have our girls and we got to spent time with Emma before she died. Susan his living on borrowed time trust me on that."

"Dad thanks for looking after Arthur for me."

"No problem sweetheart I had Grace which helped a great deal."

"Do you think Susan knows I left the country?"

"You didn't use her plane so I can't see how she would know unless the caretaker in Paris saw you."

"I'm pretty sure we weren't seen daddy."

"Good technically you told Susan you made plans so she isn't expecting to see you tomorrow. Why not stay here till Saturday Marco tells me he has taken George to Vegas."

"I thought you were going with them," says Sarah.

"I've spent so many months not being in my grandsons life. My other daughter is in Paris still with her husband it's been nice to have a grandchild near me."

"Is she angry with me?" Ask Meghan.

Leonardo looks at Meghan, "She is angry at me not you my darling, Sarah and her were both born in the same year. I cheated on her mother and Wanda became pregnant a second time and now I'm married to my mistress in her eyes."

"Did you and mum have a long term affair while you were married to Lucy's mother daddy?"

"No it was a chance meeting and it let to passion there was no long term affair. When I found out about Sarah I had to communicate with your mother."

"Did you tell Lucy that?"

"I haven't told her everything she's fiery and I didn't want her hurting you or Sarah. She got married young to get away from me. Her mother did her best to poison her against me but she has come round."

"Just not all the way round," says Meghan. "Emma said in her letters she was rude to her."

"Unfortunately she walked away from her when she introduced herself. Lucy regrets doing that now because in her eyes she has lost the only sibling she ever had."

"Why does she think Emma was her only sibling she knows about me and Sarah?"

"She knows about Sarah yes but she doesn't know her."

"She didn't know Emma either."

"I'm giving her time to come round to the idea."

"She as a two year old daughter I don't understand why we must wait for her to come around."

"Meghan, Lucy's mother died in a car crash and she was pregnant with her lovers child."

"So you both cheated on the marriage."

"Sarah I cheated once my wife cheated for 5 years."

"That doesn't explain Lucy's behaviour," says Meghan.

"She's full of anger and rage and blames my cheating for her mother's death. She thinks the affair won't have happened if I didn't cheat with Wanda."

"The dates don't make sense Sarah and Lucy are 24 this year. Her mother died five years ago."

"In Lucy's head that doesn't matter."

Sarah stands and hugs her father, "You got us now daddy."

Leonardo pats Sarah right hand, "Thank you my darling."

Later that night Meghan calls George, "Hi darling how's Vegas?"

"Great Marco is really a firecracker I met his best friend Alessandro. David came to Vegas with us and I'm having a really good time."

"I'm glad, I'm staying at mum and dad's and leaving to go to the gala from here."

"Ok, why you are not in Paris?"

"I'll tell you on Sunday when we are at our house for now have fun with the boys and don't drink to much."

"Did you forget I don't drink when I go out with people I don't know well. Not to mention Marco is teetotal."

"I forgot I've a lot on my mind go have fun with the guys. I love you."

"I love you too please tell me what you found in Paris Meghan."

"Enjoy yourself George."

Meghan sits and checks her reflection in the mirror as makeup is applied to her face by a professional. A hairdresser was pinning her hair up while a maid was steaming the blue evening gown she was wearing to the gala.

As she walks into the venue by herself Meghan holds her head high. "Meghan."

Seeing her friend Anna William a surprise looking Meghan hugs her.

"You're here I didn't think you would leave the Hamptons for yet another gala."

"I had to come your mother called me to find out how dress shopping was going with you. I assume you didn't want her to know where you were. So I let her think you were with me for two days."

Meghan hugs her, "Thank you for doing that where did you tell mum we went?"

"I told her we went to Italy and Paris then stop off in London to have tea at Claridges. She ask if we took Arthur with us or was Grace watching him."

"I told her Grace was looking after him. What's going on Meghan her tone was frantic is something wrong?"

"There is but I can't tell you about it now.  Where are you staying tonight?"

"The Waldorf."

"You and David should stay at mine."

"Okay we we will thank you."