18. Understanding

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Valerius's POV

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

As I walked over to Iris from across the park she looked different, so detached from the world. Then I noticed her trembling hands and she looked so concentrated yet defeated.

I knelt in front of her and took her hands in mine pressing them together to ease the trembles, she looked up at me and confusion flashed in her face.

"Iris, try and focus on my voice okay, your having a panic attack," he started, "Deep breath in deep breath out, eight seconds each."

Patronising, I know, but she needed to know that this was only temporary, that whatever she was feeling would pass.

"Think back to when you first played on the piano, when Amalea first taught you - that feeling that happiness remember it, hold onto it. Focus on that feeling."

It felt so strange calling my mum by her first name, but that's what Iris knew her by so I had to do it this was about Iris not about me.

After, about 3 minutes the trembles began to slow, and then they came to a stop. Her breaths weren't quick anymore, it was over.

She hesitantly wipes the tears from her eyes and looked away from me.

"I-" she struggled, "erm thanks,"

"Don't mention it,"

We sat in silence for a while before she decided to speak.

"What are you doing here?" She asked softly.

I sat down next to her pulling my knees into my chest as I recited the words she said to me when she caught me sneaking in a few nights ago.

"I could ask you the same thing,"

A ghost smile fell on her lips, she lay back against the grass. Ever since she had started staying with us I had noticed she was quite sensitive, words seemed to hurt her more than most.

She hummed a soft tune completely ignoring my presence, she wasn't actually that bad, sure she was annoying especially when she watched her romantic comedies in the cinema room all the time. Or blasted her music and started jumping and dancing around him her room. But she was alright, kinda nice I guess.

I was such a prick.

Out of nowhere I just blurted out, " I'm sorry,"

Leaning up in her elbows she tilted her head to the side, "What for?"

"For being such a prick when you first came,"

She shook her head, "I heard you're always a prick,"

I rolled my eyes.

I remember my mum telling Valentino, Dante and I that we were going to have a little sister, we were in the middle of a prank when she caught us.

Flashback 3 years ago

I and Valentino heard a cough from behind us.